How much can I possibly take.......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wood-fan-atic

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
....and not hve my wife throw me out of the house. The tree co. is taking down 6 giant ash trees across the street right now, and there are going to be at LEAST 100 rounds for me to take home. OH,glory day! :) PICS to follow.....

Wow, good Karma is coming your way...makes up for the saw issue with your buddy.
Nice score

MORE. Although my wife tried to tell me that I need to start selling the excess. I asked her to define excess. She said look outside.

Wife and I were out in the back yard surveying the neatness of the area (it's very neat/tidy) and she looks at me and says "no more". Doh.. this after the fall project of clear cutting a wood lot only a mile from my house that yielded about 5 cords of white oak, cherry, siberian elm and ash. I guess I shouldn't have told her that the owner of that wood lot called and was so happy with how I cleared it that the property next to it was now availabe for me.. That and a neighbor to the rear of that property dragged me back to his area and showed me several good sized ash trunks that I should "have". Where do I put it all and not make my wife, neighbors, think I've totally lost it and will soon be featured on the show "hoarders"?

No kidding, take it all and deal with the complaints, I am on the verge of finally having the driveway cleared of rounds to split and I just know the look I will get when I replenish the pile just at the cusp of clearance, getting jittery just thinking about the possibility of running outa rounds :-O

Wife will understand. Very good firewod there!

Consider Holz hausen (round stacks). They look nice and you can stack a lot of wood in a relatively small area, compared to individual ricks. Make sloping roofs on them to give them the appearance of huts, and you have a scenic village instead of wood stacks. I think ricks probably season the wood faster, but it sounds like you are several years ahead so you can deal with slightly slower seasoning.

Bring her to dinner or cook a meal for her with a nice glass a wine...jewelry always works as well. Explain its an addiction and really not your fault. Tell her you are seeking help here on this forum.

Wood Duck said:
Consider Holz hausen (round stacks). They look nice and you can stack a lot of wood in a relatively small area, compared to individual ricks. Make sloping roofs on them to give them the appearance of huts, and you have a scenic village instead of wood stacks. I think ricks probably season the wood faster, but it sounds like you are several years ahead so you can deal with slightly slower seasoning.
+1.
I've done a lot of work on my home & yard since buying 2 1/2 years ago, but the single "improvement" that has garnered the most compliments from familly, friends & neighbors is my Holz Hausen. Hmm, a village of HH's... now that would really be something. I think German for village or town is "Dorf"? Must build Holzdorf!!

6 giant Ash across the Street!?! That ain't gonna happen every year. You will kick yourself harder if you don't grab it than she will if you do!

My holzdorf:

Attachments

• holz hausens nov 2010.jpg
    holz hausens nov 2010.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 458
wood-fan-atic said:
....and not hve my wife throw me out of the house. The tree co. is taking down 6 giant ash trees across the street right now, and there are going to be at LEAST 100 rounds for me to take home. OH,glory day! :) PICS to follow.....

Wife needs to be understanding. Take it all.

Perhaps you need to talk more about the dollars rather than the amount of wood. For example, if you have 3 cord of wood stacked, you can explain that is actually better than having a $600 CD at the bank. It will pay much better dividends.

wood-fan-atic said:
Just to be clear, which wife are we talking about? :roll:

Funny,CarbLib,funny. :)

My wife appreciates being warm. She has not complained yet about the 9 or so cords stacked in the back yard. I think I am more icky about how it looks than she is. I think 10 cords is the maximum capacity on my 1/4 acre.

Heck, I'll come get some, if she won't let you have it ;-P

Sex
Firewood
Horse Power

Examples of three things that most red blooded Americans will say represents the idea of "you can never never have enough." ;)

wood-fan-atic said:
....and not have my wife throw me out of the house.
Only one way to TRULY find out. Report back by borrowing a friend's computer so we know what it took. I'd say those ash trees will get you close, but I bet it takes more. I bet taking a loan out on a new tractor would help speed the inevitable along, AND it would help with the wood processing.

wood-fan-atic said:

Take the wood, if she mouths off just give her a taste of the back of your hand...she'll fall right in line.

Afterwards, no matter how tempting...NEVER go to sleep in your house again...save that for the office.

Have you considered renting your extra firewood a nice apartment in the city? Your wife will never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.