How much is too much ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In most cases "seasoned" wood is hardly that here in the NE. Most of the sellers are not committed enough to bank the wood and let it season. I think I will buy cords all sprung summer and fall when the demand has dropped and the cords drop in price and season it here. A cord of green wood runs $100-$140 here and seasoned is $160-$200.

last I bought was 8 pick up loads of hedge 25.00 a load delivered 4 cords 200.00 total and it was at least 8 years seasoned. Wish that would happen again.

Around here what we call "cord wood" are 8 foot long logs that still need to be bucked, split, and seasoned, so no, I would not pay $200 for all that work.

If I could accept the idea of taking dry wood off my pile and exchanging it for currency, I would be more than happy to deliver a cord for $200 nearby.

Hey like any other commodity the price is determined by supply and demand. But if I had to pay for wood I'd be burning coal...way less hassle and coal is bullet proof.

A guy that works for me heats his old farmhouse with $7 worth of coal a day when its cold with 24 hour burns. He stops on his way home from work every week or so and loads up the bags in the back of his SUV. Not a bad solution.

No, I would not pay $200 nor would I charge $200 for a cord.

savageactor7 said:
Hey like any other commodity the price is determined by supply and demand. But if I had to pay for wood I'd be burning coal...way less hassle and coal is bullet proof.
In my opinion paying anything for wood defeats the whole purpose.

If I was forced to buy wood again, I would try to find a deal on green wood and plan on burning it in two years and always try to stay a few years ahead. I have in the past paid up to $220.00 per cord, but I was desperate and I knew that the wood had been seasoned for a few years.

Backwoods Savage said:
No, I would not pay $200 nor would I charge $200 for a cord.
Considering how much time and work goes into processing firewood and that I pay $100 for cord wood, if I were to sell any of it, I would not sell it for a penny less than $200. Delivery would be extra.

Eh Dennis, what would you sell it to me for delivered? Oh, and whatever bark and trash is left over I expect to be replaced with good wood too, just so we're up front on what my expectations are.

Status
Not open for further replies.