How much should I charge?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
I have a fellow who really wants to come onto our place to cut firewood and he seems a very decent fellow. I've done some business with him and he has given me good deals. But I'm not really sure what to charge the fellow if I let him come out to cut. Any advice?

Not to spoil the opportunity, but maybe ask your insurance agent what happens if something goes wrong? Seem best to know ahead of time, especially if there is financial gain from the transaction.

Thats a hard one Dennis maybe some kind of barter trade would be in your best interest.

I think a typical stumpage rate is between $5 and $10 a cord for firewood. Google firewood stumpage rate for examples. A common deal is for the landowner to get half of what is cut but not hauled.

The answer is not to let him cut on your land. I never do, sorry just a personal thing.

I one time did have some folks cut on shares and was very generous with them letting them keep 75%. Normally I would have only went 66%.

Not sure about the insurance but may ask just out of curiosity. I've just never had a problem with folks coming on our place to do some work and not worry about insurance. I think too many worry about those things. I have some neighbors who cringe just to see someone step a foot on their land afraid they might get sued for something. I simply have refused to concern myself with that crap. If I thought I had to worry about someone suing me then I would not let that person on because he would be the one to do it. I still believe that most folks are honest and would not try to take advantage of something that would cause a lawsuit. I have more faith in my fellow man than that.

Backwoods Savage said:
I have a fellow who really wants to come onto our place to cut firewood and he seems a very decent fellow. I've done some business with him and he has given me good deals. But I'm not really sure what to charge the fellow if I let him come out to cut. Any advice?

A new wagon would be nice. :)

zap

Ya one like yours Zap. lol

Backwoods Savage said:
I one time did have some folks cut on shares and was very generous with them letting them keep 75%. Normally I would have only went 66%.

Not sure about the insurance but may ask just out of curiosity. I've just never had a problem with folks coming on our place to do some work and not worry about insurance. I think too many worry about those things. I have some neighbors who cringe just to see someone step a foot on their land afraid they might get sued for something. I simply have refused to concern myself with that crap. If I thought I had to worry about someone suing me then I would not let that person on because he would be the one to do it. I still believe that most folks are honest and would not try to take advantage of something that would cause a lawsuit. I have more faith in my fellow man than that.

Most people are honest, but faced with a lifetime ahead of disability/lost jobs/medical bills, lots may also decide that they don't have much option but to get money somewhere.

I'm similar to smokinJ on this one. Sounds like you have worked with him in the past, and he seems decent...might be a barter situation if he has gotten some good deals for you in the past. Might just wanna set up some guidelines first....like so he doesn't clear cut your lot, and if he uses a splitter he has to use it horizontally :)

Just kiddin on the last comment.

Might be a great guy but his heirs won't be if he whacks himself. When people have ask me about cutting here I tell them that I am making a mortgage payment on every one of those trees and they can't afford'em.

Backwoods Savage said:
I think too many worry about those things. I have some neighbors who cringe just to see someone step a foot on their land afraid they might get sued for something. I simply have refused to concern myself with that crap. If I thought I had to worry about someone suing me then I would not let that person on because he would be the one to do it. I still believe that most folks are honest and would not try to take advantage of something that would cause a lawsuit. I have more faith in my fellow man than that.

I can't really say what's fair in this case, but I'm 110% in agreement with you and your attitude regarding the insurance worries. I never worry about such things, there's just too much mistrust in the world. I let my instincts be my guide. If I don't have a good feeling about someone, I don't want them on my property for any reason. If I do have a good feeling, I just go with my gut. When my son hurt himself on a friend's property while driving an ATV, he could have sued the pants off the guy. My boy ended up with $40k worth of hospital bills and no insurance. But I can't imagine him taking this poor guy's home away to pay for his own negligence. I have to assume most folks feel the same.

Smokinjay and Daves have it.

Mark some trees for the man to cut and tell him your rules. See how it goes. No charge. Someday he will have a good deal for you on something you want.

Take money or other consideration for your trees and he gets hurt or something gets damaged in the process, neither he or you may be in control over what happens next. Unfortunately, two men and a handshake ain't what it used to be.

Hi -

I've done some cutting like this and left 1/3 to 1/2 for the land owner. I even delivered a good deal as landowner's age/health became and issue.

Now I often am in a position to help others. I've found a number of times that swap for "A future draft choice" has worked out very well. They hooked me up with some deal or peice of equipment that more than covered the initial 'investment'.

All the best,
Mike

It sounds like you trust 'em Dennis. Why not go on the shares deal? You obviously like being out in the woods, but by your own admission are slowing down. Let those young bucks put you 8 years ahead instead of 7!

A percentage of some amount, unless you don't want wood cut for you.

I wouldn't worry about the nice guy suing you, I'd worry about his widow's lawyer.
Fairly long odds, but you never see those coming, especially when it's relatives.

ask for 25% and give THAT to someone who needs it. That's the Back Sav style....

You know, one bad lawsuit can really screw up your life. But I still don't think it's as bad as the messed-up life you'll live constantly fearing lawsuits.

Your kind and good deeds can, quite literally, last for eternity.

But if there's a way to accomplish the same task and lawyer-proof it - why not?

I would imagine that if you "worked together" and you kept some, and he kept some according to whatever seems fair; a lawyer would have a difficult time parsing whether he "paid" you or not.

I've also considered dropping the trees myself and then letting him cut them up. Not quite so bad that way. But I do think my mind is made up that there will be no cutting until December 1. That is our traditional starting date for cutting here. From this point on we go into the woods very little. We leave it to the deer because now it is about fawning time. Then we leave them pretty much unmolested through the summer.

Uper said:
It sounds like you trust 'em Dennis. Why not go on the shares deal? You obviously like being out in the woods, but by your own admission are slowing down. Let those young bucks put you 8 years ahead instead of 7!

Hey Uper, I may slow down at times but I'm not out yet. lol Also, I am no longer up to a 7 year supply. Close, but not quite.

Status
Not open for further replies.