How much smoke do pellet or multi-fuel stoves produce?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SSzretter

Jul 23, 2008
Central, MA
I have neighbors all around, how much smoke do burning pellets or corn produce?
(for example running a pellet furnace to hear a 2400 sq ft home)

Virtually no visible smoke except at startup.

BeGreen said:
Virtually no visible smoke except at startup.

Which only last for a few seconds, more like a burp or that it needs cleaning. I recommend a vertical vent install if you feel you could inconvenience the neighbors, it will dissipate long before reaching ground level. Also will keep smoke entering the house if power fails until what little pellets are consumed the draft will keep pulling the smoke thorough the vent.

What Begreen said.

My neighbors didn't have a clue I had any type of stove at all
until they walked into my living room.

I get a good wood smell when I open the stove door. My wife likes it so much that she even participates in the cleaning of the stove for the smell of it.

No smoke for me other than when the pellets first ignite. It is gone within 5 - 8 secs of the initial burst of flame.

BubbRubb said:
I get a good wood smell when I open the stove door. My wife likes it so much that she even participates in the cleaning of the stove for the smell of it.

No smoke for me other than when the pellets first ignite. It is gone within 5 - 8 secs of the initial burst of flame.

Yeah more like a burp, if you are a gas bag like me that's a good rip!! :cheese:

Status
Not open for further replies.