How much to ask?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ddklahr

Nov 13, 2008
NE Kansas
I had mentioned earlier in a previous post about clearing a pasture. As a result, we have a lot of locust logs that have been cut out and piled up in many piles. I have had some interest from locals about buying some of the logs for them to cut/split for firewood. My question is how much should I price the logs for. Most logs are 8-12' in length with a diameter ranging from 12" up to 30" for the big trees. I know the chunking/splitting has a price. What do you guys think?

Not sure about your area, but in my neck of the woods, if a triaxle delivers logs to your house, one would end up paying roughly 75 dollars per cord for what was delivered to them.

I'm assuming you won't be delivering and they would have to do the pick up? If so, I'd find out what a truck load costs in your area delivered, and then do some math to find out what the price per cord would be, and then take a bit off that number to make it reasonable for someone to drive to these logs and do extra work for the logs themselves.

But it depends on what type of buyer you are looking to bring in (homeowner vs commercial seller) and of course how much you have to sell.

pen

Forgot to mention, there are roughly 200-300 logs. That doesn't include the 200-300 hedge logs we cut out as well. The hedge posts are already sold. We basically cleared 250 acres of pasture. It took these guys a month to do it.

With that many around I think I'd be calling a few of the logger/trucker folks and see if they would make a bid on taking the whole lot. Pay upfront, then haul away within X period of time.

Lot less hassle and less liability. Inviting private individuals onto your property to cut and work that wood while charging them could open you up for a law suit if the right guy were to get hurt while working there.

I'd say find a pro to get it done and done right w/ a contract and insurance.

pen

Have you checked the possibility of selling them for fence posts. I have seen them for sale around here, but haven't paid much attention the the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.