How much wood do I have?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stocker

Oct 31, 2010
Northwest Indiana
I have 10 full 4x4 pallets 4 1/2- 5 ft tall (unseasoned) how many cords would that be? I know there's someone on here that loves his math so if you be so kind as to help me that would be great. Thanks

I'm getting 5.5 to 6 cord...........depending on how high it's stacked

Gator eye said:
I'm getting 5.5 to 6 cord...........depending on how high it's stacked

Yeah. Approximately 5.6 bush cords, using the average height of 4'6".

Anywhere from 12 - 20 Craigslist cord....or 5.625 dictionary cord.

lukem said:

:lol:

I find most pallets around here to be 4" x 40". If I stack them 5' high and full I figure 1/2 cord per pallet.

Thanks, that tells me I can get through the whole winter and still have some left over for next year since I only burn in evenings and weekends. I may just try loading before work too, if I can get over being nervous...but with the chimney sweep for this winter I only had about a cup of crumbly flakes so I will feel better going into my 4th yr (2nd with new stove) knowing whats going on in pipes. Thanks again.

lukem said:

minimum 5.625, a little more if its closer to 5 feet high. Get 3-4 more cords and you'll really be ahead.

Yes 5 1/2 cords at 4 1/2 feet tall

Already am looking for more. Bad storms went through last weekend so we are looking to HELP some people out...lol

stocker said:
Already am looking for more. Bad storms went through last weekend so we are looking to HELP some people out...lol

We had severe storms last night and this evening and there some trees and good size limbs down, Im going to take a ride with my saw tomorrow and clean up.

It's simple, but not that simple. I've seen pictures on this forum of wood stacked on pallets and the way it is stacked there is not much on each one. So, how it is stacked will mean as much as the overall size. Lots of air, not as much wood, etc. Also, you should lose about 6" in height by fall just from the wood drying. Good luck and I hope it is enough for this coming winter. Also, it will depend greatly on what type of wood it is whether it will be good for the coming winter or not. If it is oak, then I would say it will not be ready to burn this coming winter.

I'm sure someone has posted this somewhere on here before, but this cord calculator from our good friends in Maine rules. It's simple, fast and precise:

http://www.maine.gov/ag/firewood.html

Yes they have, but thanks anyway...I just wanted an estimate but by the calculator and my real, complete measurements it came out to just over 4 cords, almost 5 if I count whats stacked between trees and in my garage from last season. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.