How Much Wood Do you Think? (Update With Pictures)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
NW Wisconsin
So a guy tells me he has 30 or so 16" diameter Red Oak rounds and if I'm interested make an offer. Kind a tough without looking at it. Can anyone give a guesstimate how much wood this would come out to? I'm thinking close to a half cord?

I would say by my calculations that there would (should) be around 67.6 Cubic Feet.
Just as you said about 1/2 a cord. This is assuming that the rounds are all 16" in diameter
and cut to 16" lengths.

$50 as a SWAG. Maybe a face cord but I doubt a half cord.

.67*.67*3.14*1.33*30=56 cu ft of solid wood. I'd say much better than half a cord if you use 80 as the standard and his numbers are right on average.

SolarAndWood said:
.67*.67*3.14*1.33*30=56 cu ft of solid wood. I'd say much better than half a cord if you use 80 as the standard and his numbers are right on average.

80 cubic feet is standard for what? Certainly not a cord which is 128 cubic feet.
Just Curious; what does the .67 and 1.33 represent?

128 includes the air. 80 is in the range of generally accepted solid content of a cord. .67 ft is the radius, 1.33 the height of the cylinder.

That's rough, I'd at least offer him a 12 pack.

SolarAndWood said:
That's rough, I'd at least offer him a 12 pack.

I might share a 12 pack...lol To much work and really cant understand why people would pay to work. There a big stick of white oak 40 inchs at the big end its 12 foot long. These goofy people want 500.00 for it after every saw mill has refuse them. Now the grass is getting pretty tall around it. I told them you pay me 500.00 and I will have you ready for mowing season.lol I WILL NOT PAY SOMEONE FOR MY LABOR...

smokinjay said:
I WILL NOT PAY SOMEONE FOR MY LABOR...

I am there as well. Everything I get is bucked when I get there and it is a win-win feeling for me to haul it away for them.

SolarAndWood said:
smokinjay said:

I am there as well. Everything I get is bucked when I get there and it is a win-win feeling for me to haul it away for them.

This one just has me floored! lol Its not even worth 500.00 stacked for 3 years.......Trying to get a pick of it, this tree will be there for a very long time. Funny how a storm comes through and the home owner wins 500.00 bucks.....NOT!

smokinjay said:
SolarAndWood said:
smokinjay said:

This one just has me floored! lol Its not even worth 500.00 stacked for 3 years.......Trying to get a pick of it, this tree will be there for a very long time. Funny how a storm comes through and the home owner wins 500.00 bucks.....NOT!

I obviously need scrounging lessons from you guys. I get the wood for free, but I generally have to buck it, and sometimes fell the tree, too.

Wood Duck said:
smokinjay said:
SolarAndWood said:
smokinjay said:

I obviously need scrounging lessons from you guys. I get the wood for free, but I generally have to buck it, and sometimes fell the tree, too.

Me too, But I do get some delivered as well for free. l Am working on a big sugar maple now.

Attachments

• new wood.jpg
    new wood.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 548
  • new wood 2.jpg
    new wood 2.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 536
Jay will soon have the state of Indiana treeless.

Backwoods Savage said:
Jay will soon have the state of Indiana treeless.

Not this year, I think Indiana is pretty safe! lol

Well if you'd have the rain stop for a while you could get busy Jay. Keep on cutting!

I went and picked it up and it turns out there were 42 rounds with most sitting on the ground. Surprisingly there was little punk or rot and still very heavy. He took $45 for the whole lot and helped me load them. All the bark fell off as we rolled them up into the trailer, I had to make 2 trips. We made quite a mess in his yard and I offered to help clean up but he said don't worry about it. Most rounds were 12-18" diameter as well as length. I stacked them up in a 20' row ready to split when I get my new 36" Fiskars. This load should burn well in 2013-14 along with my Locust, Maple and Hackberry which is behind the Oak.

Attachments

• 100_1460.jpg
    100_1460.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 383
seems like a good deal to me.

Attachments

• gift-horse1.jpg
    gift-horse1.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 364
nice going...well done. 2 loads in the trailer pictured thats got to be a couple of cords, no?

Couple more pics. I'm thinking maybe close to 3/4 cord.

Attachments

• 100_1461.jpg
    100_1461.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 209
  • 100_1462.jpg
    100_1462.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 209
I went and picked it up and it turns out there were 42 rounds with most sitting on the ground. Surprisingly there was little punk or rot and still very heavy. He took $45 for the whole lot and helped me load them. All the bark fell off as we rolled them up into the trailer, I had to make 2 trips. We made quite a mess in his yard and I offered to help clean up but he said don’t worry about it. Most rounds were 12-18†diameter as well as length. I stacked them up in a 20’ row ready to split when I get my new 36†Fiskars. This load should burn well in 2013-14 along with my Locust, Maple and Hackberry which is behind the Oak.

Thats a good deal, after all he cut the tree and cut it into rounds. If it was just 4 foot lengths I wont pay but if someone cuts it up for easy moving I feel a few bucks is a good deal for both parties.
Looks like more than a cord to me but Im not that good at guessing amounts.

def. over a cord

Todd said:
So a guy tells me he has 30 or so 16" diameter Red Oak rounds and if I'm interested make an offer. Kind a tough without looking at it. Can anyone give a guesstimate how much wood this would come out to? I'm thinking close to a half cord?

Offer him $1 per round. Next, split and stack it. Then tell us how much it turned out to be.

Split up the two rows and came up with 1.6 cords. Got to try out my new Fiskars and it does do a better job than my other mauls but still had to use the gas powered splitter for some twisted knotty Silver Maple and Oak rounds. No sense in wasting energy whacking away at those gnarly rounds. Still have some room for a little more.

Attachments

• 100_1502.jpg
    100_1502.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 121
  • 100_1503.jpg
    100_1503.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 144
Status
Not open for further replies.