how much would you invest in retro saws?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tuco1963

Dec 24, 2010
east central indiana
hi all
how much would you invest in retro saws? my wife is about to vote me off the island over my stihl chainsaw cad :bug: :coolsmile:
anyway i would like to build a killer saw from a stock 031 - ? i can buy inexpensive stihls from the pawnshops ie $120-$175 around central indiana .
i know parts eventually will be hard to find but for as little as it will be used i can afford to place it on a pedastle my question is which stihl retro saw would you rebuild and how much would you spend

p.s
have you seen the killer stihl dealer ashtrays from france? they rock!!! :exclaim:

Eventually I hope to own both a McCulloch Super Pro 125 and a Stihl 090. They generally run for between $400-650 & $800-1200,in strong running condition +decent cosmetically.Sometimes a bit more. They're for sale on Ebay & elsewhere fairly often,so hopefully I'll see one at a decent price at the same time I have the cash to spare.Demand is high for both,so that keeps prices up there pretty good lately.Wouldnt turn my nose up at a Mac 795,940 or one of their other vintage gear-driven beasts,either. :coolsmirk:

I see alot of the older saws at old engine shows/flea markets/silent auctions.

I bought my Homelite 20 MCS at my local club's auction for $15. It just needed the points cleaned. I still use it once in awhile for fun and to show people what a "real" saw is. Still has all the original decals and paint.

The 090 is a monster.... never run one, but have seen them in use.

How much? Well, I suppose that it all comes down to how much discrectionary $$$ you have, and what you think is important enough to spend it on. You and your wife together, it seems to me, should be considering those kinds of questions. None of us here on the forums can even take a stab at an answer that means anything quantitatively to a question like that. Rick

I'd be looking for an 038 instead of the 031. ;-) And Rick is oh so right.

The 031 is an old dinosaur....it will get the job done, but there are much better vintage stihl models out there...mastermech has mentioned one.

fossil
my question was one that gives ppl a chance to share theyre dream of if they built a dream saw and from what , your putting way to much into it

Status
Not open for further replies.