How much would you pay for the good stuff?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarAndWood

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2008
Syracuse NY
I have access to all the bucked Silver/Norway Maple class wood I want. However, things dry up pretty quick when going for the free good stuff. This guy had two claimed large Sugar Maples dropped in June. I have to go get them and split them. He is asking $250 for it all bucked and he helps load. Way too rich for me for what I assume is probably in the neighborhood of 2 cord. I am thinking $25 maybe $50 per cord? Sound about right?

Attachments

• 081411 cl sugar maple1.jpg
    081411 cl sugar maple1.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 779
  • 081411 cl sugar maple2.jpg
    081411 cl sugar maple2.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 730
  • 081411 cl sugar maple3.jpg
    081411 cl sugar maple3.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 733
25 to 50 per cord sounds right depending on distance to haul it. You do the work of splitting and if seller doesn't burn it for heat, you're doing him the favor of getting it out of his yard. Maybe 60 per cord if ya are desperate for deep winter overnight dense fuel.

That fella is asking alot of money for something that was dropped in June and is only bucked, you pick up. In Mass we can get tree length for about $95 or less a cord delivered. Some tree companies will offered bucked logs in the area of $80/cord green, you pick up. Seasoned stuff delivered is anywhere between $225-$300. Your thoughts on $25 or $50 a cord may seem a little low. You may get a price like that on a lot to be cleared with wood still standing, wholesale.

If someone wants paid for that! My answer is I dont pay for wood but if you want it out of here I will move it for free....If the answer is know I leave my name and# and most call me back. :)

smokinjay said:
If the answer is know I leave my name and# and most call me back. :)

lol, I like the way you think. It is about 10 miles of highway driving each way and I can do a cord at a time in my trailer. I can get logs delivered for $100 any time I want and I enjoy ripping through a pile of logs. I can also go the 40 miles out to my friend's farm and use his 4wd utility tractor with the big Farmi winch on it. That certainly has some entertainment value as well. That is where I came to it at most being worth $50/cd to me.

Most of my primo stuff used to come from watching the city mulch pile after the city guys left for the weekend at noon on Saturday. That is when the small tree guys started dumping the nice stuff in front of the sign that said nothing bigger than 3" in diameter. Finds like this locust were not uncommon. Unfortunately, this Spring they put 6x2x2 concrete blocks around the perimeter and installed a gate :shut:

Attachments

• locust rounds at the mulch pile.jpg
    locust rounds at the mulch pile.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 670
To me just doesn't make cents to bring 5k of equipment and labour and then pay too! (the bigger it is the more chance Know-one can move it) I have a few guys close to me that call there running 036's in there early 20's. Amazing there is know one around with a 192t/460/880/splitter combo.(its a kit) ;-)

Nothing wrong with haggling with the guy, he probably doesn't even realize what a fair price is. I think if it were me I'd offer him $100 and a case of beer for a tip.

smokinjay said:
To me just doesn't make cents to bring 5k of equipment and labour and then pay too!

I yield to the wise man from Indiana. I will not fall off the wagon and pay for firewood ;-) My combo kit stopped at 94cc, might have to do something about that some day.

Todd said:
I think if it were me I'd offer him $100 and a case of beer for a tip.

And not tell Jay I did it?

SolarAndWood said:
I have access to all the bucked Silver/Norway Maple class wood I want. However, things dry up pretty quick when going for the free good stuff. This guy had two claimed large Sugar Maples dropped in June. I have to go get them and split them. He is asking $250 for it all bucked and he helps load. Way too rich for me for what I assume is probably in the neighborhood of 2 cord. I am thinking $25 maybe $50 per cord? Sound about right?
I wouldn't pay a dime for it. If it was split maybe.

Solar, with what is available to you now I really would not think you would be interested too much in that wood. However, you might consider $50-$75 as a top dollar is you decide to dicker with him. Otherwise, Jay is right.

gzecc said:
I wouldn't pay a dime for it. If it was split maybe.

That is the funny thing about firewood. It really isn't worth that much until it is dry, delivered and stacked where you are going to pull from to load the stove. However, everyone in the supply chain: the guy with the standing tree, the guy with the dropped tree, the guy with the bucked dropped tree, the guy with the dropped bucked split tree, the guy with the dropped bucked split dried tree thinks it is worth the going retail rate.

Backwoods Savage said:
Otherwise, Jay is right.

That goes without saying, just ask him :lol: If the guys here would stop posting pics of the primo stuff, I could probably live without it.

Just one question: what mean you by "silver/norway maple class"?
Given the extreme difference between silver & norway, that stopped me. If in doubt, sugar maple is waaaaay better than silver.

north of 60 said:
All you guys are way to spoiled. :bug: :) Hard wood to boot.

LOL - I was thinking the same thing, just opposite! I'd hardly call silver maple a hardwood. Just a few btu more than cottonwood, about the same as Doug Fir, and lagging behind several pine species.

CTYank said:
Just one question: what mean you by "silver/norway maple class"?.

The low to mid-range stuff. It is probably 2/3 of my stash right now and will grow unless I can find another source of the good stuff. I don't come across too many people trying to get rid of the primo stuff around here. Way more burners than free wood for that to happen.

north of 60 said:
All you guys are way to spoiled. :bug: :) Hard wood to boot.

Spoiled, yeah I suppose. The nice thing is that big steel box with the cat on top still goes 24 hours easy on the lessers.

+ 1 to Jay's answer. I'd leave name & number & maybe offer to rake the sawdust/debris after it's cleaned up. Judging by your comment, you can get a 24hr heat cycle with softer/free wood, why pay? If I could get that kinda results out of my furnace, I'd burn all my Scotch pine & never leave home to cut. A C

amateur cutter said:
Judging by your comment, you can get a 24hr heat cycle with softer/free wood, why pay?

Most of the season it doesn't matter. However, when it is cold and blowing, it's nice to have the option of putting 100 lbs of fuel in the stove rather than 60.

I just stopped an hour ago over dinner break to inquire at a tree removal job. Hard maple, all blocked up on a town lot, Senior's place-- I know he's not burning wood. Tree guys are throwing it on the truck , "$50. per cord (face cord that is) if you want it. This means I load, deliver and still have to split. "No thanks", and drove away. I can get it in log form by the truck load for $20. per face cord... and I don't mind blocking and splitting with a hydraulic in the least. Besides, I knew the tree guys were double dipping and probably charging the homeowner a G note for the tree removal in the first place.
Easy come, easy go.

mainstation said:
I just stopped an hour ago over dinner break to inquire at a tree removal job. Hard maple, all blocked up on a town lot, Senior's place-- I know he's not burning wood. Tree guys are throwing it on the truck , "$50. per cord (face cord that is) if you want it. This means I load, deliver and still have to split. "No thanks", and drove away. I can get it in log form by the truck load for $20. per face cord... and I don't mind blocking and splitting with a hydraulic in the least. Besides, I knew the tree guys were double dipping and probably charging the homeowner a G note for the tree removal in the first place.
Easy come, easy go.

I totally agree with you Main, sometimes you just have to walk away. The tree guys get their rate to cut the trees and when they bring back the trees you know it's going right to the mill or to the chopping block.

smokinjay said:
To me just doesn't make cents to bring 5k of equipment and labour and then pay too!

Well once again, and just over 24 hours later, your sage advice plays again. Slavin away at work today and get a "U want wood?" text.

Attachments

• 081511 red oak score.jpg
    081511 red oak score.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 314
Very very nice!, & I don't blame you one bit for wanting some "good stuff" for those really cold nights. 70* inside & -10 outside make all the labor worth it to me.
Especially when the propane furnace never runs. A C

Thanks AC. I ensured the propane furnace never runs by putting it on the curb a few years ago. The 500 gallon propane tank followed 2 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.