How much would you pay?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bsticks

Mar 19, 2010
NW New Jersey
Hi, new to the forum. I have been reading the various posts on the site for about 5 months now and thought I would post this topic for comment. I do cut about once a week throughout the year and currently own a MS390, 20" saw I purchased brand new this past August. I really like it, it is tremendous saw, but the wood I am into now doesn't really need something this big and really like the MS290 too. I have an opportunity to buy a used one and would like to gather some opinions.

1 year old, MS290 w/16" bar and case. Runs great, cuts well, and if it's in the $250 range would it be a good buy?

The saw lists new at $359.99 and the case is $39.99 include the sales tax of 7% for me and my total out the door, if I bought it new would $427.94. Using this example, this used saw I am looking at is 40% off the new price.

What do you folks think?

Thanks again!
Bsticks

I would say 250 and under is a strong buy..

If you're trying to save weight and size, the 290's not much of a difference (a pound, yes?). I'd probably look to find a used 250 (3 pounds less than 290, 4 than 390) for around $200. I've got a 250 with a 16" bar and a 361 with an 18", and I can cut most anything here in the Northeast.

S

thinkxingu said:
If you're trying to save weight and size, the 290's not much of a difference (a pound, yes?). I'd probably look to find a used 250 (3 pounds less than 290, 4 than 390) for around $200. I've got a 250 with a 16" bar and a 361 with an 18", and I can cut most anything here in the Northeast.

S

I was going to second this thought. If you're looking for something noticably smaller I'm not so sure the 290 is a good choice...

Heck in that case the 200t is the way to go....but I would take a 290 over a 250 any day. Less weight isnt always the only thing to look at. 16 in. on a 290 going to be a little more weight but will give you a wider range of wood than the 250....24in. on the 390 and a 16in. on the 290 will be a great set up!

Thanks again for the comments. My plan is to have a small bar saw for the convenience of not having to take the 20" bar off the saw to replace it with a 16" bar. I could just switch between the two and have a spare should I "breakdown".

bsticks said:
Thanks again for the comments. My plan is to have a small bar saw for the convenience of not having to take the 20" bar off the saw to replace it with a 16" bar. I could just switch between the two and have a spare should I "breakdown".

throw a 24 in. bar in that line up and there will be very little that you couldnt tackle!

There's only a pound difference between the 390 and 290--if you want a second saw for a back-up, and weight and size are not issues, then yes--the 290 would work. But the reality is, you'd have two almost identical saws so you're comment about the 390 being too big is not the REAL issue! And, as far as swapping bars between the two, the 290 usually comes with .325, not 3/8, which I think the 390 has. Finally, I've used both the 290 and 250 and I'm certain there's very little a 290 would be able to do that the 250 couldn't. And it's a REAL weight savings with a better power/weight ratio.

But let's be honest--you'll buy the 290 because you "like it" and want another saw!

S

FWIW, when I bought my 390 in 2005, there was NO difference in spec weight between it and the 290. Exactly the same weight. In fact, I borrowed a friend's 290 for a couple weeks and decided to get one myself. When I found out the 390 was the SAME weight but with more power, it was a no-brainer. Having many chainsaws is certainly a nice thing, but if you are considering that 290,you might as well just get a shorter bar for the 390.

bsticks said:
Hi, new to the forum. I have been reading the various posts on the site for about 5 months now and thought I would post this topic for comment. I do cut about once a week throughout the year and currently own a MS390, 20" saw I purchased brand new this past August. I really like it, it is tremendous saw, but the wood I am into now doesn't really need something this big and really like the MS290 too. I have an opportunity to buy a used one and would like to gather some opinions.

1 year old, MS290 w/16" bar and case. Runs great, cuts well, and if it's in the $250 range would it be a good buy?

The saw lists new at $359.99 and the case is $39.99 include the sales tax of 7% for me and my total out the door, if I bought it new would $427.94. Using this example, this used saw I am looking at is 40% off the new price.

What do you folks think?

Thanks again!
Bsticks

I doubt you will like your set up once you have it a while .
The power heads are the same weight , the difference is HP and what will make the 290 lighter will be shorter bar and .325 chain . If you can live with the weight then see if you can find a deal on a 390 power head and put a .325 bar and chain on it . Your saw then would be the same weight as a 290 but stock 20% more HP .
Personally I would just opt for a smaller power head Ms 250 is ok or a better fit would be a MS260 which is only I beleave .3 HP less than the 290 but like arond 2.5 lbs lighter . Ms 260's are great saws and you dont need the pro model .
The other option here is find your self a 440 and put the 20 inch bar on that and then put a 16 inch on your 390 . The 440 is only a couple of ounces more than a 390 in weight but like .7 more in ponies heck and then later you can put a 460 jug and piston kit in it and jump that up to 6HP that would be about 25% more than your 390 .
Oh gosh arent saws fun , Must be why I have so many to choose from . he he he

Hi again,

Didn't get the saw in the end. Went to try it out on Saturday and it fired right up no problem. About 10 minutes of use cutting up some 10" hickory the saw started to vibrate in hands and I heard what sounded like cement mixing in a big mixer. You know, the gravely sound the rocks make? Before I could shut it down, it shut itself off and didn't restart. Pulled off the covers, removed the spark plug and wire, pulled the cord a bit and found the problem. Seized piston in the cylinder body. A flash light confirmed the grenade of the piston head and pieces of the piston pushed out through the spark plug hole.

Running to lean is my guess, although the saw was filled up by the seller while I was standing there. A real shame, nice saw.

I do appreciate all the comments and I am going to rethink my idea of a MS290 if it's the same as the MS390, give or take a little extra HP.

Thanks again!
Bsticks

Sorry to hear you didn't get the saw, but very glad on the other hand you didn't!!!!

Man......having the saw you filled with gas lean seize in the prospective buyers hand hahahaha

You don't want a 290 anyway, basically the same weight as your 390 with less power. Find an 026/260 or even a 250 to comliment your 390.

I've have a new 390 in the garage for a month that I haven't even started yet, but... I think I would be happy to take five minutes to change the bar and chain on occasion rather than pay another $400 for the convenience of not having to.

Kenster said:
I've have a new 390 in the garage for a month that I haven't even started yet, but... I think I would be happy to take five minutes to change the bar and chain on occasion rather than pay another $400 for the convenience of not having to.

that would come down to what your doing I will run with two part time guy right now just trying to get caught up so time is money!

smokinjay said:
Kenster said:

that would come down to what your doing I will run with two part time guy right now just trying to get caught up so time is money!

ah, yes.. I had not thought about that angle. For a pro who is cutting for a living it would make sense to have a whole arsenal of saws at hand to have just the right one for the job. For the occasional cutter, home owner like me? ... not so much.

LOL, ok, so the seller wanted to impress you with how great the saw ran so he put straight gas in it! I guess he didn't figure you'd run it long enough to sieze it up :wow:

But seriously?!? You want to go smaller than the small saw you already run?!? Get one of those pink Barbie electric saws :lol:

I would be considered a "part time" wood cutter. My cutting area is in a place where I get to it by four wheeler with the truck pretty far away, 150-200 yards so having two saws, one ready to go as a backup is ideal for my situation.

Right now, I am just sticking to my current "M.O." until something comes my way.

OK, I am back again.

MS250, 16" bar, 1 year old. This one I just finished running (no piston grenade!) I get the wrench, the star driver, oil, and scabbard.

This would be perfect for limbing and cutting tops. What do you folks think is fair value?

Thanks,
Bsticks

Looks like MSRP is around $320. $160 would be a real nice buy if it is in good shape cosmetically and internally.

HittinSteel said:
Looks like MSRP is around $320. $160 would be a real nice buy if it is in good shape cosmetically and internally.
+1

Status
Not open for further replies.