How often to clean chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kobudo

Sep 10, 2008
MN
I have a Jotul Castine in our cabin.
It gets used about 1 long weekend a month from October through April. We generally burn well seasoned wood and try to keep the stove temps around 400-500*F during a burn. It burns the whole weekend while we are there but doesn't get used for the rest of the month.

How often do you think the pipe should be cleaned?

kobudo said:
I have a Jotul Castine in our cabin.
It gets used about 1 long weekend a month from October through April. We generally burn well seasoned wood and try to keep the stove temps around 400-500*F during a burn. It burns the whole weekend while we are there but doesn't get used for the rest of the month.

How often do you think the pipe should be cleaned?

If you are doing it yourself, I'd do it at the end of the season so clean out any debris, and at the beginning of the season to say you looked down the chimney and saw that everything was OK, no bird nests, etc.

Basically, if it isn't much of a hassle to clean, then do it just for good measure.

pen

Seems a little cool running for the Castine. We often had it running at 600+ during peak secondary burn. As long as you are burning nice, dry wood, once a season cleaning should be fine.

I agree with Pen . . . sweep at the end of the burning season . . . check at the start. To be extra safe, check about halfway through the burning season to see what the cresote build up is like . . .

I'd probably do it after the first year of burning and then go from there based on the amount of buildup found. If you're burning good dry wood and keeping it hot, I doubt it even needs to be cleaned every year.

As stated, it sounds like you might be running it a little cool, so check the flue...

You clean the chimney as often as it needs cleaning. You inspect the chimney much more often. Probably in your case I'd still check it every third time you head to the cabin.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.