How Time Flies - 40 Years Ago

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quads

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Central Sands, Wisconsin
I was going through some old pictures and came across a couple of me hauling and splitting wood, over 40 years ago! Brings back old memories of fun with Dad, and of course the excitement of chimney fires.

I've been splitting wood for a very long time with a 6# maul. This one here would have been the old one with the round sledge hammer type handle. I still have it, with a broken off handle in it. The round handle never lasted very long. This was the prototype, before I ended up with the maul I use to this day, which has the ax-eye type handle. Dad's double bit ax standing up in the background and Dad overseeing my work. I'm sure we were taking that wood home to put in the stove that night:
splitting%20wood.jpg

This is me hauling wood from the pile up to the porch. The bigger the load I hauled the less trips I had to make. I broke the handles on that wheelbarrow many times, much to Dad's disappointment! Some decent sized overnighters in there. Probably cut this morning. Brick chimney in the background, the source of many neighborhood gatherings:
hauling%20wood.jpg

Nice pictures Quads has to bring back great memories.

Zap

Thats one cool looking sled in the right side of the second pic. Do you still have it around?

I see you were all over the really safe footwear, too. ;)

You are a bit older than I am, but you were definitely a "looker"! doubtless you've retained your youthful good looks, no wonder Mrs. Quads snapped you up, in spite of the fact that you didn't have a yoke of your own... and still show no inclination towards training one... (you need to rethink that).

Great pictures. Isn't it amazing that we were once so young and figured we could "out muscle" the work? Whenever I look at pictures of myself at that age I can't believe how recent they seem. Scarey, huh?

Cutter said:
Thats one cool looking sled in the right side of the second pic. Do you still have it around?
We used to have two of them, but I think they are both gone now.

Bobbin said:
I see you were all over the really safe footwear, too. ;)

You are a bit older than I am, but you were definitely a "looker"! doubtless you've retained your youthful good looks, no wonder Mrs. Quads snapped you up, in spite of the fact that you didn't have a yoke of your own... and still show no inclination towards training one... (you need to rethink that).

Great pictures. Isn't it amazing that we were once so young and figured we could "out muscle" the work? Whenever I look at pictures of myself at that age I can't believe how recent they seem. Scarey, huh?
Nah, I had feet like iron!

Well, not too sure if I was a looker then, but I'm definitely not now! I tell everybody the reason I have a beard is because I have a face that needs a cover!

Seems like yesterday.

Cool pics quads. Funny to see you had a knack for the camera back then too!

mikepinto65 said:
Nope, wasn't me! I assume Mom took those pictures, don't remember. First camera I ever owned was a digital, in 1998. I never owned a film camera, even though Mom and Dad were both amateur photographers, and I was never really interested in it until later in life.

quads said:
mikepinto65 said:
Nope, wasn't me! I assume Mom took those pictures, don't remember. First camera I ever owned was a digital, in 1998. I never owned a film camera, even though Mom and Dad were both amateur photographers, and I was never really interested in it until later in life.

I figured it was probably mom who took them, I meant that you were showing your mug off for film while working with splits even as a kid!

mikepinto65 said:
quads said:
mikepinto65 said:

I figured it was probably mom who took them, I meant that you were showing your mug off for film while working with splits even as a kid!
Oh. Mom probably made me do it! I hated having my picture taken. Still do, but I love taking pictures.

quads, your old pictures really brought back some memories for me too. Not only with the wood splitting but also the fact that you look just like an old school buddy of mine! Simply amazing.

Fortunately my father did believe in letting the wood dry before burning it; well, most of it anyway.

Great pictures Quads

Makes me want to go look for our old pictures. But as I was only 4years old 40 years ago I wasn't doing much but playing.

Billy

Status
Not open for further replies.