How to add a boiler extension to a wood stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

monteville

Feeling the Heat
Nov 23, 2019
Dallas
I looked at a neighbours HWT she said was making noises. Her husband had gotten tired of the water coming out of PRV pipe onto the floor.
He installed a shark bite cap on the end of the pipe then left for a week working out of town.
The hot tap water was steaming.
How to explain to a women her husband had created a bomb and left for a week without getting him divorced or worse. Lol.
I don't understand, it's roughly the same work as replacing the T&P valve. Most dripping T&P valves are not even bad, they just cannot fully shut because of scale invasion, could be closed by simply descaling with citric acid.

Not including this one, which might have a failed controller or temperature sensor.

I have renewed quite a few old water heaters the owners said "probably need replacement" by flushing and descaling. "wow as good as new"!

bholler

Chimney sweep
Staff member
Jan 14, 2014
central pa
I don't understand, it's roughly the same work as replacing the T&P valve. Most dripping T&P valves are not even bad, they just cannot fully shut because of scale invasion, could be closed by simply descaling with citric acid.

Not including this one, which might have a failed controller or temperature sensor.

I have renewed quite a few old water heaters the owners said "probably need replacement" by flushing and descaling. "wow as good as new"!
Well yeah that's common practice don't forget to change the anode rod as well.

So no comment on the clear dangers of steam explosions

Yeah I really am not any sort of expert on hydronic systems. I am more stoves and chimneys. But I have been around them enough and have enough common sense to know the risks.
Il

my point is without knowing it he created a potential bomb. The temp was set to high, the tank was less then a year old.
If you’re building a hydronic system it’s very easy to leave a valve closed or install a check valve backwards, hundreds of things that can cause a serious issue. If you’re working on this homemade system at night, after a days work it’s easy to get brain fade. Then stuff goes bad really quick.

Reactions: bholler

monteville

Feeling the Heat
Nov 23, 2019
Dallas
Well yeah that's common practice don't forget to change the anode rod as well.

So no comment on the clear dangers of steam explosions
When should the anode rod be replaced? Is 1/2 diameter(1/4 volume, after scraping off the scale and oxidation) a good replacement time?

bholler

Chimney sweep
Staff member
Jan 14, 2014
central pa
When should the anode rod be replaced? Is 1/2 diameter(1/4 volume, after scraping off the scale and oxidation) a good replacement time?
Check with the manufacturer

brenndatomu

Minister of Fire
Aug 21, 2013
NE Ohio
He’s got it all figured out, until he doesn’t and he seriously injures a loved one or stranger.
IMO, dude is just trolling (again!) he won't be building anything...

Reactions: hobbyheater