How to adjust for proper burn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottyDaug

Dec 26, 2010
Maine
This is my first pellet stove, so I'm still obsessing trying to get the proper burn settings. How will I know when the damper is set right? How should the flame look? I just want to make sure I'm getting the most heat possible from my USSC 6041 PT. I'm aware that different pellets will require different settings. I know these questions have probably been asked before on here, but I was unable to find them. This place has been a GREAT resource.

Thanks In Advance,

ScottyDaug

You do the adjustment using flame color and slowly and only after the stove has been burning for at least a half hour (check your manual it may speak to what feed setting to do the adjustment at and other stove particular items).

You are looking for a yellow/orange tending towards yellow flame with blue just above the burning pellets. The flame should be lively but not a blowtorch, it must never be black tipped, large, orange, and loopy.

You adjust the damper in small increments allowing at least 15 minutes between adjustments to allow the burn to stabilize.

When properly adjusted the pellets will be wiggling in the burn pot and new pellets hitting the burn pot will eject small burning fly ash embers.

I can't speak to any fine adjustments that may be available on your stove.

Thanks..Smokey.

Status
Not open for further replies.