How to change the Cat.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burning Questions

Dec 6, 2011
Southwest MO
I have an old "Homesteader" model fireplace, made by the now out of business Hirschey Industries. Since I am getting smoke out of the chimney, I assume the catalysts are dead. The last time I had a chimney sweep out and asked him about them, he just scratched his head and said to run the fireplace without them. Of course that didn't impress me much.

I have the sales brochure, but little else for the fireplace. Nowhere does it tell me how to remove the cats. There is a plate that hangs down below the cat, which is the main problem The cats are round, and 6" across. I see no way to remove the plate.

Following is a picture of the situation. I have never seen cats with a hanging plate like this before. I don't see any way to get the things off.

Edit: Darn it.. posted in the wrong forum. Anyway to move this?

Attachments

• catalyst.jpg
    catalyst.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 163
Status
Not open for further replies.