How to Get Access to Flue and Chimney for Sweeping from Below - Hearthstone Shelburne (with photos)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DanCorcoran

Minister of Fire
Jan 5, 2010
Richmond, VA
Okay, so I took some photos of my setup. The first is the back of the stove, where the single-wall flue is attached to the flue collar with three screws. The second and third show the telescoping part of the flue. The last photo shows how the stove is situated in the room.

My question is this: to sweep from inside the cabin, do I just remove the 3 screws and lift the flue? If so, how do you support the flue so that you can get a brush or sooteater up there? I'm at the cabin alone, so it needs to be a one-person solution. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• P1020393 (1000x562).jpg
    P1020393 (1000x562).jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 249
  • P1020396 (562x1000).jpg
    P1020396 (562x1000).jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 256
  • P1020397 (562x1000).jpg
    P1020397 (562x1000).jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 276
  • P1020386 (1000x562).jpg
    P1020386 (1000x562).jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 268
This is how I used to do it, but there are a dozen ways to skin a cat.

I would remove the flue collar screws and the slip joint screws (up by the support box). Remove the connector pipe and take outside for sweeping. Now with a shop vac running to catch soot slowly inser the brush into the chimney. Once the brush is in the chimney you can poke a hole in a garbage sack with the rod end and tape the sack to the support box with duct tape. Now you can run the brush up and down the chimney and the soot will fall into the bag. Run the brush up and down with one hand while holding the shop vac near the point where the rod enters the bag to capture the little bit of soot that escapes. If you have a long connector pipe you can even leave some of that connected and sweep it at the same time too.

Thanks, Shane. The connector pipe appears to be about 8 feet long and there are no screws that I can see up at the support box. I don't want to bend the connector pipe getting it off and I'd rather not try sweeping from atop a 10-foot ladder, even if I could get it off. I think what I'll try (we'll see if it works) is to lift the connector up as far as it will telescope (looks to be 1-2 feet). I'll then cut two or three 2x4s to that length and use them underneath the connector pipe to stand it on the flue adapter. I may have to custom-make something to ensure that the support is stable, but then use a rotating sooteater up through the connector (with plastic bag taped in place...I'll figure out how to do that when I get there).

Whatever I figure out, I'll post some pictures. Thanks again...

Dan, please do post pics and a good write up. We have the same stove and I too have a telescoping pipe. I'd like to see how this is done so I can do it as well. Hmmmm, how often do you do this? I'm on my fourth fire in this stove. I'm hoping I can make it till warmer weather.

sheepdog000 said:
Dan, please do post pics and a good write up. We have the same stove and I too have a telescoping pipe. I'd like to see how this is done so I can do it as well. Hmmmm, how often do you do this? I'm on my fourth fire in this stove. I'm hoping I can make it till warmer weather.

I've had the stove two years, but because it's in my cabin in WV (which is not accessible Dec-Feb), it hasn't had many fires. I'm asking all these questions because I'll be sweeping the chimney for the first time. I was hoping someone else with telescoping pipe would share their experiences, but so far, no luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.