How to kill bugs in the firewood I have stacked in the basement.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldmainer

Aug 19, 2009
southern maine
Hi Folks...I keep a couple of cords of firewood stacked in my basement. I have a problem with bugs of various kinds...spiders and ants mostly. What/how would you suggest I get rid of them? I prefer an organic method...but will try all ways... Thanks Franklin

How about something that eats the bugs? Maybe some kind of snake? That would be organic. I keep my wood, and the bugs outside.

set off a bug bomb

I think I'd rather pay the gas man than have my wood inside. The wife would agree!

Check out Black Flag dry max fogger. Cheap and sounds effective. The problem with wood is that there are probably tons and tons of eggs inside the wood. I'm not sure any kind of fogger or spray will get in there and prevent future hatchings. Good luck either way...

Yes. 2 or 3 foggers should do the trick. You might have to turn off the water heater if it is gas.

After this, keep the wood outdoors and then no bug problems.

Oldmainer said:
Hi Folks...thanks for taking the time to respond to my question. I love the snake idea...but not sure wify would go for it...:) Franklin
Do snakes eat ants? You need to get one of these.

GiantAnteater.gif

Just kill the ants.
Restach the wood where it is and check each piece.
If its infested move those pieces out of the house.
The spiders will eat whats left.

I started to put moth balls in the garage to keep the mice away for the equipment...I suppose you could try that. Careful you don't overdo it at first or you'll smell it upstairs.

I buy a fresh package of those ant poison thigs from RAID and create a zone of death around my woodpile in the basement. Haven't had a problem yet. I'm also careful about what I bring in and make sure its not obviously teeming wiht bugs or caked in dirt and partially rotten.

Doesn't seem to a big deal to keep a couple cords in the basement, at least not for me.

I used Ortho home defense max ( I think that's what it's called) around my woodshed which sits next to my garage, there were some ants in the ash that we stacked and i certainly did not want an invasion. I applied it where they were walking around and not much happened but today i see a pile of dead ants on the ground and no more activity, so now i lightly spray the floor before i start stacking just in case. It says it's safe for humans and animals once dry but i would rather not find out if that's true. I am not a huge fan of using chemicals to control bug populations as the chemical usually does not care what it kills, good or bad, but given the alternative i did it. Also it says it effective for 6 months.

Les Biancat said:
turn off all gas pilots & any open flame before bug bombs!

or it could really bomb?

Peace,
- Sequoia

Franklin, one solution is Diatamecous Earth (also
known as DE). I
put a layer of it underneath my wood crib. If any
insects (or
spirders) get out of the wood and fall to the floor,
the DE takes care
of them.

How it work. DE is harmless and made of the skeletons
of ancicent