How to minimize waste tire burning pollution?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

monteville

Nov 23, 2019
Dallas
tireburningstove2.jpg

In today's America, with the ever rising cost of housing, education and healthcare, affordability is king.
Waste tires are very affordable and is being successfully used in cement kilns and glass factories because these process involve alkaline substrates that absorb SO2 into the final product.

Unfortunately, most people burning waste tires in an outdoor wood boiler don't burn them in the right way, releasing black smoke and noxious gas pollution, that is way more than the smell of SO2. I believe the noxious gas is H2S and organosulfur, which could be burnt to SO2 if fully combusted.

I believe the reason is they are burning it too fast on the bed, and without enough oxygen supply. We generally want lower bed (primary) temperature and higher cyclone (secondary) temperature.

Some people use a taller flue pipe up to 10 ft to disperse smoke away from ground level, but does this tall flue pipe generate too much draft that draws out the fuel too soon, before it could fully react with oxygen?

How should outdoor wood boilers be adjusted to minimize tire burning pollution?

Last edited:

monteville

Nov 23, 2019
Dallas
So you want to burn tires in your back yard?? Glad you’re not living anywhere near me.
No, I don't burn tires, I have more than enough wood, but wood is not affordable to everyone in everywhere.
Some people don't have a car so they cannot harvest wood like we do.
Some poorer people struggle to fund their kid's college, or to pay their mortgage.
Helping them PROPERLY do it is helping ourselves.

brenndatomu

Minister of Fire
Aug 21, 2013
NE Ohio
So is that pic in the OP real, or something that was photo shopped to be a "tire burner"? If someone is actually making that, then it would certaily be worth investgating its real world performance before trying to DIY one...

gthomas785

Minister of Fire
Feb 8, 2020
Central MA
So is that pic in the OP real, or something that was photo shopped to be a "tire burner"? If someone is actually making that, then it would certaily be worth investgating its real world performance before trying to DIY one...
That pic is from a joke website

They have a section at the bottom about their new "rock burning power plant"

Reactions: brenndatomu

clancey

Minister of Fire
Feb 26, 2021
Colorado
Its a interesting idea but they need like the piece says "in other words" to work on this concept more...Looks terrible but if they could get it to zero pollution and burning it might very well work on all those "assorted things"...We definitely need a new type of technology to get rid of stuff maybe they could ship it to a explosive planet or something and send it up with "one of musk" ships for space..as we learn to capture energy from one of those planets we can not live on---its a beginning and i see the possibility for the future..clancey

brenndatomu

Minister of Fire
Aug 21, 2013
NE Ohio

Bad LP

Minister of Fire
Nov 28, 2014
Northern Maine
Got more than enough fire power to properly ventilate it if he was my neighbor and a Husky K770 to cut it in half after it cools down.

Reactions: salecker

monteville

Nov 23, 2019
Dallas
Got more than enough fire power to properly ventilate it if he was my neighbor and a Husky K770 to cut it in half after it cools down.
Are you going to destroy the boiler of the poor widow with 3 kids to leave them with no heat in the winter? They can totally live in your big house right?

Last edited:

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
If folks dont recognize Troll bait then they deserve what they get

Bad LP

Minister of Fire
Nov 28, 2014
Northern Maine
Are you going to destroy the boiler of the poor widow with 3 kids to leave them with no heat in the winter? They can totally live in your big house right?
Yup and I’ll sleep just fine too.
No they are not moving in.

Reactions: salecker

stoveliker

Minister of Fire
Nov 17, 2019
Long Island NY
Google tells me this is illegal in TX. The issue is moot.

Reactions: sloeffle

salecker

Minister of Fire
Aug 22, 2010
Northern Canada
Probably illegal in the USA period.
I imagine Canada as well.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA