How to propagate trees from cuttings?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tickbitty

Minister of Fire
Feb 21, 2008
VA
Not sure this is the right place for this post, but does anyone know how to grow trees from cuttings? We had to cut down a really big dying maple (not sure what kind of maple) next to the house last week, a pretty old tree. It made me sad, but it had to go and we can burn off the wood next year and warm our house. There were little bud sticks growing out of the base that I clipped off before the tree was cut. Can I root these and plant new maples? What is the best way to treat the sticks and get them to root, and when should I plant them?

Thanks in advance. I have a fig tree I am doing this with too. In that case I put them in rootone and then in soil in pots. It was a bit late as everything had leafed already. Only one of them made it through the season. I haven't cut the big tree but I hafta, it's putting rootballs in the sewer pipe. And the leaves smell kinda like cat pee, so I don;t think I would plant a fig against the house! (last owners did that, not me.) But my succcess rate was not that good on those plantings, so I am seeking some advice on the maples.

I think it depends upon the type of tree. Some, for example, Althea, can be started in soil from cuttings. It helps to dip the cutting in rooting hormone 1st. Others must be grafted onto other stock (e.g. fruit trees). I'd suggest you read up more on the internet or at the library. I'm no expert by any means.

Good luck.

see if you can find any of those starts that are rooted - possibly pack earth around them to try to get them to root.

Cuttings from older trees are problematic in my experience.

in general you aren't going to be able to root cuttings of most temperate zone trees, based on my experience. Willows, trees of the genus populus (aspen, cottonwood), and maybe a few others root well, but most hardwoods like oaks, maples, hickory, etc. typically will not root from cuttings very easily. You can google up some information on the process, but it generally involves much more than sticking a few cuttings in vermiculite and keeping them moist (which is the general procedure for easily rooted things like salvias, many tropical flowers, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.