??How to remove Breckwell P2000I Auger & Motor??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rlmauejones

Jan 8, 2011
North Central Mass.
Shut down for weekly cleaning, turned on 30 min. later when finished, and it wouldn't stay on long after igniting - wasn't getting pellets. Could hear auger motor running, so I checked for jams, bridging, etc., then pulled stove out & verified that motor was running, but shaft wasn't turning. Confirmed cotter pin was in place (doesn't use set screw), everything else was looking normal, and was able to move auger up/down by pushing on motor from below, and hear the auger move inside the tube - assume that's ok. Has been like that since purchased in 2003, identical P2000I downstairs that's a year older is also like that, and dealer said it was normal way back then.

Emptied hopper, removed flight cover, and found a small button magnet, about the size of a hearing aid battery, caked with fines and stuck to the interior wall of the flight cover, w/flight cover in that spot slightly scratched. Have no idea where it's from, or how it got in there. My guess? Someone @pellet factory on production line wears magnetic earrings, and lost one - with the magnetic back falling into the pellets.

Cleaned every speck of dirt, fines, etc. from auger, double-checked tops, edges & undersides of flights for damages, looked for cracks, burrs, etc. - nothing found. Could easily move auger about 1/8" - 1/4" by hand. Removed collar w/rubber bumpers on either side of the motor, could then turn auger 360 degrees manually freely, by rotating motor, and did so for one last look for damages - nothing found.

Reattached collar w/bumpers & tried to move auger - still 1/8" - 1/4" inch of play. X'd my fingers, plugged in/turned on - motor runs fine, but shaft still doesn't turn, and doesn't seem to even try. I'm guessing the gears were damaged when the auger was jammed by the mystery magnet?

Tried removing the motor, but it won't come off. Removed cotter pin (no set screw), was able to pull it ~1/8" lower on the auger shaft and twist a bit CCW, just enough to move cotter pin holes out of alignment. Tried a little WD-40, still wouldn't budge any further. Did I miss something else besides the cotter pin that's holding it on?

I want to get the motor off so I can see if it's really the gears, and, if necessary, purchase & install a new motor. I know I can't bang it with a hammer, as it would probably break the casing, but how else can I get it off? Not exactly any room to pull hard from below. Because of the limited space & angle, I don't think I could get the auger out w/the moror attached, and then pull the motor off, either. Suggestions?

Thanks - Rebecca

There is nothing else holding the auger motor, except the cotter pin. Possible that the pin has sheared and letting the auger motor turn inside the auger shaft I have heard of this occuring several times. Sounds like you have looked at all the possibilities and the next link is to check the auger motor. As you said not much room to work in, you will just have to pry the motor off the auger shaft.

Thanks Jerry, guess tomorrow's going to be a fun day for me.......now where's that crowbar?

Status
Not open for further replies.