How to stop the smell

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sblat

Nov 3, 2010
Haslett, MI
I just had my T5 installed last Thursday. I think it will take some getting use to the different type of heat compared to my Resolute. Here's the problem, when the guy installed the pipe he did not remove all of the stickers from the pipe. Now, when ever I get a new load of wood up to temp, it stinks the house up with this burning plastic type smell. It is really bugging my wife, even making her sick to her stomach. There is one label about 14" up from the stove top that is the cuplrit. Any ideas on how to remove that label now that it is baked on there pretty good? Goo Gone? just worried about stripping the coating of the pipe...Thanks for any suggestions!

Steve

Kick the wife out and burn that sucker off with a good hot fire, it will eventually stop smoking. That is what I would do, but yes, goo b gone will work, on a cold pipe.

I have been telling her that it will stop soon, but it just never does. I have had a fire going 24/7 since thursday. The goo gone wont affect the finish on the stove pipe?

sblattert said:
I just had my T5 installed last Thursday. I think it will take some getting use to the different type of heat compared to my Resolute. Here's the problem, when the guy installed the pipe he did not remove all of the stickers from the pipe. Now, when ever I get a new load of wood up to temp, it stinks the house up with this burning plastic type smell. It is really bugging my wife, even making her sick to her stomach. There is one label about 14" up from the stove top that is the cuplrit. Any ideas on how to remove that label now that it is baked on there pretty good? Goo Gone? just worried about stripping the coating of the pipe...Thanks for any suggestions!

Steve

How are you adjusting going from the Resolute to the T5? I just purchased a T6 and I'm apprehensive making the switch from my cat stove to a non cat stove.

There are a lot of things I like way better with the T5 over the Resolute. Burn times have been great, seeing the beautiful fire is really nice, and it is a sharp unit! I used to have to build a new fire every night, not anymore! Got to get use to not getting blasted with heat, which I liked more than I thought. I will be curious how it performs next winter. It has been getting down in the teens here at night and up to about 30 during the days, and it is heating pretty well right now, but it gets quite a bit colder in the dead of winter. I don't think I will be able to completely shut down the furnace next winter, but you never know. The blower moves a ton of heat around as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.