How to support chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanskills

Dec 16, 2011
Colorado
Howdy

So bought a used jotul that came with 10 feet if class A and 10 feet single wall.

I have about 4 feet from top of jotul combi 4 to the roof in kitchen ( low roof) than it's just 2x6 rafters to roof, no attic

So no way to frame in that big box in kits to support chimey..so do I just go straight through roof and only use the brackets ( will be over 3 ft above roof) or am I missing something?

Is your roof flat, or just low pitch?

Very low pitch on kitchen where stove is going, was somones add on, other side of house gas high pitch classic a frame.

you'll be fine with 3 feet

Btw sorry about spelling, it's hard to type on iPhone. I live in mountains at 10,000 feet so no Internet except edged att iPhone, lol

Ok...3 feet about roof would only give me a total pipe length from stove of about 8 feet, I was under the impression you had to have a minimum of 15 feet?

lol sorry I didn't see low pitch...
I guess we'll have to wait for someone with experience here to chime in. From everything I've seen the pipe is required to be supported by a support box. But if I recall there are a different type of support box that you can use in ceilings like cathedral ones... Hum... Yes... There's something you need. What it's called I don't know. But I've seen it in instruction manuals :p

Go by what the minimum the stove manufacturer recommends in the manual.

Ohhhh, I thought you were worried about it being to high! (really). I mis-read your post. Sounds too low. Can you send photos of what it looks like outside the house? I think you'll have to add some sections to the chimney with support brackets to keep it stable.

I'll try to add done pics today, I want to install this week but obviously want to make sure it's right, have a baby in the house.

I'm concerned about having 10 feet of chimney above the roof though, I do have a conduit bracket for it but we get hurricane force winds up here in the mountains ( 100 mph)

If I just put about 5 feet above roof I doubt it would blow over but would leave me with only a 10 foot chimney, is it really necessary to have 15 feet chimney?

Keep in mind thus jotul isn't a EPA stove, if that matters

There are above-roof braces (stays) that I've seen in use - quite common I think.

I would first make sure I had a sound base to support the weight (maybe you'll have to frame in some base framework of some kind - pics would help), then second make sure it was high enough - if it needed some roof stays, so be it.

I appreciate your help. I trying to figure out how to upload pics on my iPhone,

Apparently you can't upload pics using forum, attachments is greyed out for me

Pics would help a lot. I am concerned about a few things with this installation. This stove can really heat, so I am wondering if putting it in the small space as opposed to the main house space is the way to go, especially with a low ceiling. The other thing that may be an issue is the effect of having a tall roof near the flue. Wind hitting the A frame roof can cause bad pressure gradients and possible downdrafts. How far away from the A frame roof will the stove chimney be?

With a straight up flue, under normal circumstances I think you could work with a 10-12' chimney on this stove. It is pre-EPA. But we also need to see what parts you have. Different roof penetrations need different support solutions. Do you know what brand pipe you have?

Moving to the classic stove forum for followup.

I shouldn't have said what kind of stove I have, thread got moved go forum no one reads, lol

Ah well, I think I got it.

Definitely not true, this forum is also daily active and monitored. While there are some stove specific questions due to the location and draft, the chimney support question is universal.

Note that I also left a link to this thread the main forum. What is the plan?

I Have pics but iPhone won't post them, will Post them from library tomm.

From what I can gather I need a cathedral box, inside cap god single wall, outside flashingand some high temp silicon stuff .

I only have about 4 feet from top of stove to roof, so if I go 5 feet above roof I'll have about 10 feet of total chimney, I really don't think it's a good idea to go 10 feet when the winds get 100 mph.

I had 4 huge trees blow down last week, talking 70-80 footers with deep roots

Here is my chimney, works fine with east winds at 80mph, well some down drafts. Tim

Attachments

• DSC00062.jpg
    DSC00062.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 331
Hey tim that looKs like the same pipe, cap And support I have, just need to buy done kit to go trough roof.

I was really worried about wind, good to know it's not a issue for you

Status
Not open for further replies.