How to use a moisture meter properly?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tickbitty

Minister of Fire
Feb 21, 2008
VA
I got an inexpensive digital moisture meter last year, made by PSI. It seems pretty decent. It has two pins that are maybe 1cm long.

I know when you are testing wood it should be on a new split - how new? Within hours?

Are you supposed to just contact the wood with the points, or really try to get them to penetrate in? Is it better to hold the meter straight up and down, perpendicular to the wood, or lay the points along the grain for more surface area?

We just split and brought home some white oak that was standing dead a long time and sitting in rounds since - I don't know, maybe spring or summer? It's dry as can be and measures 20 percent any way I stick it. There's a bit of dead punk on the outside, which makes maybe an 1nch of "cork" on one side of the log I just measured, I think it was laying on the ground on that side. The meter sticks into there and gives me a reading of 37. So obviously, much higher. I just want to make sure I am using the meter correctly in determining what's ready to burn or not.

tickbitty said:
I got an inexpensive digital moisture meter last year, made by PSI. It seems pretty decent. It has two pins that are maybe 1cm long.

I know when you are testing wood it should be on a new split - how new? Within hours?

Are you supposed to just contact the wood with the points, or really try to get them to penetrate in? Is it better to hold the meter straight up and down, perpendicular to the wood, or lay the points along the grain for more surface area?

We just split and brought home some white oak that was standing dead a long time and sitting in rounds since - I don't know, maybe spring or summer? It's dry as can be and measures 20 percent any way I stick it. There's a bit of dead punk on the outside, which makes maybe an 1nch of "cork" on one side of the log I just measured, I think it was laying on the ground on that side. The meter sticks into there and gives me a reading of 37. So obviously, much higher. I just want to make sure I am using the meter correctly in determining what's ready to burn or not.

This is the way I use it, I push it in until it stops. I tested some in the summer after being stacked the previous fall then again in the fall but this is cherry which seasons quicker than oak..

zap

Attachments

• 100_1181.jpg
    100_1181.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 283
Thanks Zap. Mine looks just like yours there but the model number is MD-2G?
I can rarely get it to stick in the wood so it's in as good as you've got it there. I could kinda stick it in with some force with the palm of my hand, kinda "hitting" it into the wood, but I'm worried I'll break the thing.

tickbitty said:
Thanks Zap. Mine looks just like yours there but the model number is MD-2G?
I can rarely get it to stick in the wood so it's in as good as you've got it there. I could kinda stick it in with some force with the palm of my hand, kinda "hitting" it into the wood, but I'm worried I'll break the thing.

The cherry it goes into pretty good but the sugar maple and beech is tough so I won't force it, I meant to order the two prong but the four prong is good.

What is the weather like your way?

zap

It's about 30 right now. It snowed a little last night but was gone by mid day. What part of NY are you in?

I just split a piece and stick it in the direction of the grain, usually around the middle. You can get different readings as you move it around. I think the center is the best for an average. With the punky stuff it really does not help, you need to get that stuff under cover to get it to dry out. It will dry out pretty quick if you can keep the rain off of it, but I do not think the meter is useful on that stuff.

tickbitty said:
It's about 30 right now. It snowed a little last night but was gone by mid day. What part of NY are you in?

We live in the foothills of the Adirondacks in the Town of Colton in northern New York. The wind is picking up some today which makes it feel colder with some snow for the next three days. Nothing big for snow fall for us but it looks like the Great Lakes Region and Syracuse will get close to a foot or more of snow.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.