How warm is TOOO warm for stove top and exhaust pipe????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ole farmer

Dec 7, 2010
wa state
Got my Englander ep-25 new control panel installed and stove work good but with stove set on heat 3 fan 6 ,top of stove is 150 degrees with a raytech infra red temp gauge and exhaust pipe 4 inches from stove is 130 degree's. When I put the stove on 9-9 the fire is 550 degree's, top of stove 180 and exhaust pipe climbs to 150 and things start to smell HOT. Is this acceptable temps or do I have other problems with this stove. Thank you for any input...

I think this question is best answered by someone at Englander, or maybe you can send Mike a PM here. But IMO, if the stove was too hot, the high limit switch would shut it off.

We have a Harman P61 burning on our showroom floor
& I checked the other day to see what the top was.
Our IR said 277 degrees, which BTW, is not enough to keep an ECO fan turning...
I didn't check the vent pipe, but I WILL today & report back.

How warm is too warm?

1. when the stove itself begins to melt
2. when the chimney is sooooo cherry red that it is starting to get WHITE hot
3. when fire is coming out of the top of the chimney
4. when the furniture in your living room begins to spontaneously combust
5. when the wife says it's too hot!!

-Soupy1957

When the wife's new implants start to melt....

Interesting

My Advantage running on the low setting will see the horizontal vent pipe at 150F at the point it enters the wall thimble.

On the 2 setting it will see the temp climb to 165-170

If your stove has never really been "seasoned" or run hot enough to burn off the paint on the top of the firebox and a few other places, its going to smell some.

I rarely run my stoves above the low setting so there is never any really high temps.

I tried to size things so I dont have to deal with a fire breathing dragon over in the corner.

My only real concern would be the temperature of the vent pipe where it penetrates the wall/ceiling

The direct vent pipe thimbles do not have a huge amount of space between the outer pipe jacket and the inner thimble sleave.

I am just anal about such stuff, but if I saw the pipe temps getting near 250F I would worry some.

Just some thoughts.

Snowy

Thank you for the responces. My stove may have never been hot enough to burn, season the paint. It had a bad control box from the get go and would not stay lit on amy setting other than 4. Now that I have installed the new controler its a completly differant stove. Overnight I would get about two inches of ash build up around the door and burn pot ect.....Now after three to four days running I just get a skif of ash. This morning with stove set at heat 3,fan 6, stove top is 140 and exhaust tube at thinble is 120. I am running this stove on a wall thermostat so it starts and stops as heat is needed......how long do the igniters last on these stoves???? should I guy have a spare on the shelf or are these things reliable???....

I run my stove at 550 deg. This from the ir therm. pointed at the pellet chute through the glass. I read 360 deg at the air exhaust and 175 on the vert pipe. Englander, built to run. Right now its 26 degrees outside and 70 on my 1 st floor and 66 in the upstairs bedrooms. The 1-3-1 settings don't produce enough heat for me so I use 4-5-1 on a heat setting 2 and blower 8. It eats a bag every 12 hours but the heat is wonderful. If I leave the house I dial it back to 1-4-1 and leave the heat on 8. It will maintain 66 plus that way and use a bag avery 20 hours.

ole farmer said:
how long do the igniters last on these stoves???? should I guy have a spare on the shelf or are these things reliable???....

Ignitors will self destruct eventually based on how much use they see.

There are alternative ways to get them lit though.

Paint peeling heat-gun is one way.

MAPP gas torch.

I put a magnetic wood flue thermometer on top of the stove. Usually she hovers around 300 burring at a 'good rate.'

ole farmer said:
.....I am running this stove on a wall thermostat so it starts and stops as heat is needed......how long do the igniters last on these stoves????.....

ole farmer, I think your EP has the ability to do On-Off AND Hi-Lo burning. I usually run the stove on On-Off during the fall shoulder months, and when the temps drop (like in the beginning of Dec. this year), I switch to Hi-Lo.....that will save ignitor wear considerably.

Let me know if you want the procedure to try switching the stove to Hi-Lo.

DAKSY said:
We have a Harman P61 burning on our showroom floor
& I checked the other day to see what the top was.
Our IR said 277 degrees, which BTW, is not enough to keep an ECO fan turning...
I didn't check the vent pipe, but I WILL today & report back.

Reporting back. The exhaust pipe (Excel PV) closest to the unit is at 157 degrees. Closer (12" away) to the wall thimble it's at about 145...

Status
Not open for further replies.