How Warm Is Your Basement When Burning Upstairs?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
NW Wisconsin
Just thought I'd ask this because yesterday I decided to burn my Keystone upstairs and keep the Fireview cold downstairs and see what happens. The outside temps were around 40 all day. The temps were 80+ upstairs and hovered around 70 down. I let the fire burn out about 12am and it was still 75 up and 68 down with an outside temp this morning around 20. I was thinking it would be much colder downstairs but it stayed pretty comfortable. I must be getting some heat downstairs somehow, I'm not using any fans but maybe I'll rig something up. What kind of basement temps do you see when burning upstairs? I'm sure those basement temps won't be as good later on this Winter but maybe I will burn the Keystone a little more than I thought?

Our basement is still in the 65-70 range right now. But we have a partially exposed west wall that will transfer some outside warmth in. Last year, I never noticed the basement warming at all. I posted on this some time ago. I'm thinking of installing an in-line duct fan and blowing cool, moist air from the basement up through the register by the stove.
This has got to move some warm air downstairs. And. . . cool the stove room when I start toasting us.

Maybe just another crazy woodburners idea.

My basement is a lower level walkout with the walkout side all glass. When it is below zero and blowing, the pipes can freeze even with the space above it at 75. When its warmer, it is generally above 40 down there.

I told you that Fireview was gonna get lonely this year. :cheese:

Our basement sits at 58 f when it's freezing outside. The floor on the main level gets cold . The only way to heat our place is with the basement and main floor stoves both going. Pete

Insulated crawlspace and mini-basement stays around 60-65F. The coldest temps I have checked for this have been around 20F.

Dead of winter 40 deg. F Day unfinished .Turn gas furnace on at mid night to 6 am. keep pipes from freezing. COLD

My basement is poured concrete and uninsulated. It is non walkout and over 2400sqft. It stays in the low to mid 60's this time of year. Mid 50's when it really gets cold.

Chargerman said:
My basement is poured concrete and uninsulated. It is non walkout and over 2400sqft. It stays in the low to mid 60's this time of year. Mid 50's when it really gets cold.

+1 except mine is regular block

Status
Not open for further replies.