Howdy Ya'll

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trundle

Feb 12, 2011
Western MT
Hi all you woodshedders. I'm a timber faller here in W. Montana and found this place researching wood stoves. Lots of good info., but the best part about heating with wood is getting out in the woods and scrounging around with a chainsaw (which is why "the wood shed" is my favorite forum here at the Hearth). Anyway, just thought I'd drop in and say hi. PS. Is there a really easy way to post pics? I read through some of the how to links but am still a little confused. Thanks... Trundle

Welcome, Dont really know a easy way..Cant wait to see the Pic's though......

Thanks Jay. Loved the thread you started a week or so ago with you and the boys gettin after it. I'll get the pics thing figured out... I hope...

Hey Trundle....welcome. Posting pics is easy....kind of. Just click "browse" while youre posting, and choose a pic/pics from your hard drive. If its too big, youre going to have to shrink it. Good luck.

Thanks wood-fan. Yeah, ran into the "file too big" thing so I'll just keep trying til something sticks.

Welcome Trundle,

As far as pics are concerned it isn't that hard. You just need to make sure they are sized correctly. Open the pic on your PC and see if you can resize it. What software are you using ?

I can say I truely enjoy "scrounging with a chainsaw". It is a sickness, but one that the symptom pays in BTUs.

Anyway welcome to the forum and enjoy

Shawn

best tool ever for resizing pictures if you have XP is here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

it basically makes it so you can right click on a picture (or even select a bunch of pictures) and select "resize" and then it lets you pick what size you want. 640x480 makes a good size, AND it shrinks digital camera pics down from huge Megabytes to like 12kb or otherwise very small sized pictures.

You can even do "custom size" and shrink stuff small enough to make it your avatar (the picture under your screen name)

unfortunately, I've got windows vista. Still trying to figure out how to re-size pics. Maybe photobucket?

Trundle said:
unfortunately, I've got windows vista. Still trying to figure out how to re-size pics. Maybe photobucket?

I use resizeit.com easy for me, and I am clueless on this stuff.

Trundle said:

You can open pic with IE.. then right click,click on email pic, choose smaller size and email it to yourself....
Or just right click pic "send to" email recip. choose smaller size and email to yourself....
Or get a freeware program.

I use IrfanView but there is almost always a work around.

Shawn

Welcome glad your here its a great site with even better folks on here!! WELCOME from Indiana

Trundle said:

Try Picasa 3 and welcome. Dunno if I have been here long enough to welcome someone but welcome!

Hey Trundle How did you make out with Picasa3 I just downloaded it and it works Great I was resizing my pics a very long way. Now lets see some logging pics so I can drool

As to resizing: Most windows operating systems have the Windows Paint program already installed. Just open your photo in Paint, click on Image, arrow down to Resize then save your image. I resize to around 60% but this percent depends on the original image size. (Big lond discussion could be entered here as to reduction % depends on the resolution of your camera, etc.) After resizing, click on View, Zoom and choose 100% to show you what size the image will show when posted to hearth.com.

On the resizing of pictures, if you have no software to do it, just use Paint, which comes with all Windows.

Load picture in paint, click on Image. This brings a drop-down menu.

Choose Stretch/Skew. This brings another menu.

Notice the Horizontal and Vertical at the top of that menu. They will be marked for 100%.

Just change that 100% to perhaps 75% or thereabouts. Just make sure you change both the horizontal and vertical the same amount.

Then just save the picture.

It doesn't get much easier than this if you have no other software.

Welcome to the forum Trundle.

We have lots of fellers on this forum so you should feel right at home. Many moons ago I felled trees for logging and then also worked in the mill. Started carrying the heavy stuff and worked up to sawing. Now I just feel great getting out in the woods to cut the firewood. It can even be called a hobby as I still love to do it. I also always seem to cut way too much but that is okay too.

Thanks everyone. I installed picasa 3 and am monkeying around with it. Its comical how unsavvy I am with a computer.

Hey Trundle,
Whereabouts in westwen MT? I've been up 93 from Sula to Kalispel, It's about my favorite area that I've ever been thru in my travels. Bueatiful country! Watched some helo logging out there, 2 helo's one for hauling and a smaller one running chokers. Neat operation. And welcome!

Hi 711. Driving from Sula to Kalispell sure gets you through some great country. The Bitteroot mtns., The Rattlesnake range just N of Missoula, then the Mission range taking you up to and past Flathead Lake. Doesn't get much better. The Heli outfit you saw must have been down in the Bitterroot end of things. They are the last Heli logging show in the state (as far as I know). I live S of Kalispell about an hour.

OK, the whole picture thing has got me ready to grab my hunting rifle and resize my monitor! I freely admit to being dumb, but am I THIS dumb? Answer... yes.

Dude---stick with the windows 'Paint' option as previously discussed....its almost TOO easy.

Like Wood-Fan-Atic said stick with it, Make calls, a computer friend,free help desk,look in the help dropdown menu, anything! Can,t wait to see some pics

Status
Not open for further replies.