How's your weekend scrounging schedule looking?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

babzog

Oct 25, 2011
Eastern Ontario, Canada
My scrounge last night and tomorrow is about 3-4 cords of ash that a tree cutter felled about 30min from home. No pulling up trailer and loading. Nope. Take wheelbarrow down hill to back yard. Load 2-3 rounds and wheel uphill to trailer. Repeat till trailer is full. Took about 1:20 to load my 4x8. He's already hauled off a 6x12 and he's given me the rest. This morning, he told me there will be more next week at the same place. Holy leg workout, Batman! I tell ya, I put a few pounds on over the summer... it's coming off fast now with workouts, running and scrounging!

This evening, I'm off to collect a load of maple rounds. Got a buddy to help load. Suspect will be more wheelbarrow work for which there will be beer.

As well, tomorrow I've got the rest of the maple to pick up that I didn't grab last weekend. I've secured my parent's truck to reduce the trip count but I'll be sleeping like a baby tomorrow night! With a cold drink and a fire on, of course! :)

I've been done messing with wood since mid summer.

I buy/find what I need when it's nice out. Lot better cutting and splitting wood when it's 70* vs when it's 5* and snowing..... that's time for couch, beer and TV!

NATE379 said:
I've been done messing with wood since mid summer.

I buy/find what I need when it's nice out. Lot better cutting and splitting wood when it's 70* vs when it's 5* and snowing..... that's time for couch, beer and TV!

For those of us south of about 43 degrees latitude we won't be seeing that for at least a month in a half. Thanksgiving was damn near balmy down here. I disagree about cutting and splitting in 70 degree weather though-too hot. I like splitting in the about the high 30s/low 40s or so-that way I can work in a long sleeve shirt and not get to hot but not freeze either. Tomorrow I'm headed out to some property I have permission to scrounge on with a large power line ROW. Nelson was just there last week so I'm hoping to leave with at least one pickup load.

babzog said:
My scrounge last night and tomorrow is about 3-4 cords of ash that a tree cutter felled about 30min from home. No pulling up trailer and loading. Nope. Take wheelbarrow down hill to back yard. Load 2-3 rounds and wheel uphill to trailer. Repeat till trailer is full. Took about 1:20 to load my 4x8. He's already hauled off a 6x12 and he's given me the rest. This morning, he told me there will be more next week at the same place. Holy leg workout, Batman! I tell ya, I put a few pounds on over the summer... it's coming off fast now with workouts, running and scrounging!

This evening, I'm off to collect a load of maple rounds. Got a buddy to help load. Suspect will be more wheelbarrow work for which there will be beer.

As well, tomorrow I've got the rest of the maple to pick up that I didn't grab last weekend. I've secured my parent's truck to reduce the trip count but I'll be sleeping like a baby tomorrow night! With a cold drink and a fire on, of course! :)

Is that 3 to 4 cords or 3/4 cord that you are hauling uphill in a barrow? If you are loading 3 cords like that you a better man than me. I've pass on some pretty good wood because gravity was severly against me.

Got a tiny scrounge today but it was and easy one. Heres a post on it.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/84382/

Always open to a scrounge if one comes along.
Sometimes some road or highway construction does some tree clearing this time of the year.

This weekend - a smallish scrounge. Started on a deadfall I thought to be ash, but it was mullberry (fireworks in the firebox). The larger rounds were that mullberry with a few cherry 16- inchers. The smaller piles are white ash. It blows me away how some here can bring home cords and cords in a day. I harvested all afternoon for this truckful and I'm plumb tuckered out and sore. Luckily, it all adds up and makes BTU's, eh?

Attachments

• ash cropped.jpg
    ash cropped.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 476
  • rounds cropped.jpg
    rounds cropped.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 466
  • splits cropped.jpg
    splits cropped.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 467
Gark, if that's a smallish scrounge I'd like to see a picture of a big one!!!!!!!

Our weekend is looking good here, we have trees down everywhere, it's just the question of which ones to prioritise.

And whether I should be here typing or out there cutting......... ;-)

Cut some mulberrys off of a fence line for a guy who asked me to do it for him (I cut on his land a lot so I made it a point to do it), one load of some heavy green mulberry, getting so far ahead now I am going to have to find different places to stack.

Our weekend scrounging looks good. We didn't get a lot but still some good red oak. I'll hopefully start the year's cutting next week.

Treetrimming-5.jpg

Going back to the old railroad land and trying to see if there is anything beside cottonwood out there. Also going to grab a bunch more 3 to 4 limbs to help start fires. Need a lot of heat to get this wetter wood going. Probably Sunday though, may have to go see the in-laws today for a late Thanksgiving.

My scrounge went like this. I started on Monday and ended on Sat afternoon. This was all from the Tropical storm early September and the recent snowstorm in late October. There's plenty more out there that I plan to get.

Mon - scrounge and bring home 3 loads.
Tue - scrounge and bring home 3 loads.
Fri - bucking
Sat - bucking and splitting. Splitting went super fast because I had two helpers.

Attachments

• wood 001.jpg
    wood 001.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 392
  • wood 002.jpg
    wood 002.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 398
  • wood 004.jpg
    wood 004.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 387
  • wood 006.jpg
    wood 006.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 377
  • wood 007.jpg
    wood 007.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 387
... and the final pile after splitting. This needs to get moved down to drying stack area once I clear out a cord from the current burn pile. This will become the start of my 2013/2014 pile.

Attachments

• wood.jpg
    wood.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 386
Picked up 6 18" rounds of honeylocust I passes on last week . Would have gotten more but I really have no more room and the trailer was still full of the half cord of BL I picked up last weekend.

All the above posts & pictures are overwhelming for me.
I'd love to be cutting wood.
Maybe another foot of snow & I can take the sled out & drag some logs with it.
Good work guys! :)

Well pretty good got a call from friend about a mile down the road said an old dead Red Oak had fallen on the power lines and Electric Co. had fixed it and come get the tree if I wanted it. I got most of it home today will get the rest tommorow. Provided it's all solid I should get a little over 1/2 cord.

Attachments

• SDC10354.jpg
    SDC10354.jpg
    350.7 KB · Views: 348
  • SDC10353.jpg
    SDC10353.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 344
For a while, I've been wondering if I'm the only hunter on here. I set aside two months to take care of firewood - February and March. Outside of that, it's taking time from getting boats ready for the upcoming season, fishing, and hunting...

Picked up the load of maple last night. I thin my buddy hates me now (haha)... there was another hill. :( Took both of us to horse these things up the hill in the wheelbarrow.

And I think I brought home a city squirrel... happened to be looking out the office window this morning and this black squirrel was heading away from the trailer and straight to a maple. He was looking rather tentative, no confidence of the territory at all. I've never seen a black squirrel around here before (lots of reds though). Cat was going ballistic, standing up in the window, chattering away while this thing ran up a tree. If I did bring him home, he spent all night in the trailer.

This AM, unloaded those and headed out with my parent's truck. Picked up the ash this morning, filled up the pickup box, then headed out for the rest of the maple/birch. Turned out, the owner wasn't home (he's been helping me load the big rounds with his FEL), so I bucked the birch and loaded that plus a handful of maple rounds that I could pick up. Filled the trailer with just that so it appears I have another load of big maple rounds to bring home tomorrow.

Attachments

• scrounge1.jpg
    scrounge1.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 312
  • scrounge2.jpg
    scrounge2.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 316
Fechmup said:
For a while, I've been wondering if I'm the only hunter on here. I set aside two months to take care of firewood - February and March. Outside of that, it's taking time from getting boats ready for the upcoming season, fishing, and hunting...

Been too busy to hunt this fall, plus I forgot to apply for my doe tag this year. I'd like to get a few days of grouse hunting in before the end of the year. Next spring though... the turkey woods will be calling!

Awesome looking loads.
Great tough looking trailer.
The big rounds would have been split a few times before they got on my trailer. To big for me to even roll :lol:
Strong back to load them for sure. :)
Will be some good BTUs next season.

Good job.

found an older man who was getting rid of year old rounds split them up and put them in the stove burn great

Load of road wood today - red oak and locust.

More of my cottonwood at daybreak - hot chocolate, donut and a chainsaw....life is good.

Good scores guys
but with out pictures, well ?? (i forgot) :)

bogydave said:
Awesome looking loads.
Great tough looking trailer.
The big rounds would have been split a few times before they got on my trailer. To big for me to even roll :lol:
Strong back to load them for sure. :)
Will be some good BTUs next season.

Good job.

Thanks!

The trailer is a tough old girl. Got her free from a local. She was/is in rough shape, but I've done a fair bit of work to make her useful. She's ugly but quite sturdy.

I tried splitting some big rounds last weekend and got through 4 before I gave up. I'd be there for hours splitting all those. Took two of us dummies to grunt them into a barrow and then grunt them up the hill. After that, it was a piece of cake. Relatively speaking.

Today, I brought home the last of the maple I was working from last weekend, 'nother load like the earlier pic. Loaded with the owner's FEL so not so bad to deal with.

With what I'll have left over this year, plus what I've brought home (about 10 cords, by my estimation), I'm 1/3 of the way to having 2013/2014's wood! Just have to get it processed now.

Great to be 2 years ahead. (3 years of wood on hand)
Then you know your have good dry wood.
It's a struggle to get there but keeping ahead gets allot easier after that.
Just need to get a years worth each year after that.
And the "warm feeling" of having it is priceless :)

Status
Not open for further replies.