Hudson River Control Board

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes molex connecter and wiring are same on many as the base(board layout) is the same.

What is different is feed rates and voltage to motors. I hope you ran it thru its paces. It could over fire or under fire at different heat ranges! Just saying. Might be OK to get by in a pinch, But I would replace with the properly programmed board. That would be the one that is made specific for the hudson river unit!

Boards are made by ace and they carry a base model number. You will also see a stamped code on the main chip. This is the program that is burned to the OTP main chip.

Hello

The Travis control boards have a different program for the Large Stoves than the Small Stoves. However the control boards ARE the same, all you need to do is change the setting from Large Stove to Small Stove somewhere in the control board install configuration to get the different feed rates!!

Attachments

• AvalonAstoriaControlBoardsc.jpg
    AvalonAstoriaControlBoardsc.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 366
Don,

How do you change the program on the travis board?

~Please becareful here~ AFAIK, Every stove manufacturer will have a different program on the main chip. IE, feed rates(on/off time of the feed motor) and voltage settings for the blowers. Unless you are absolutly sure these are EXACTLY the same. Best not to do it. The cost of the properly programmed board is about the same as the one that may fit, But is it really really the exact same???? Not to mention there are different boards out there. They are not all the same!

All I can say is taking one from a larger stove and slapping it into a smaller stove could be a new fire for don to post here!!!

Attachments

• PSHudsonRiverSarnac.jpg
    PSHudsonRiverSarnac.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 356
j-takeman said:
Don,

~Please becareful here~ AFAIK, Every stove manufacturer will have a different program on the main chip. IE, feed rates(on/off time of the feed motor) and voltage settings for the blowers. Unless you are absolutly sure these are EXACTLY the same. Best not to do it. The cost of the properly programmed board is about the same as the one that may fit, But is it really really the exact same???? Not to mention there are different boards out there. They are not all the same!

All I can say is taking one from a larger stove and slapping it into a smaller stove could be a new fire for don to post here!!!

LOL... He (Don2222) sure does seek them out.. Agreed on the Board. Just because it plugs in, doesnt mean it is designed for it.

Lots of "test fires", in a controlled atmosphere (i.e.- Fire extingushers, water hose, etc). To make sure it does not create an Over-fire situation.

It may work just fine.. Just double check it.. Double check it a few times. The owner will know best, if it is burning any different than before.

j-takeman said:
Don,

LOL Jay, When I learn a Stove I really get to know it!. It is true after 1997 so do not mention the old time stuff please? :)

Yes, Jay you have a good point. However, the new replacement control boards for Travis were made the same to save cost quite a few years back.

The new control board Install Instructions printed 8-13-2008 part # 250-00011 shows how to configure.

Here is the Overview from the Instructions and the detailed change you requested!! I have the 9 page PDF instructions if anyone is interested.

Overview
This control board is compatible with all large and small pellet heaters manufactured from 1997. Circuitry on the
board allows it to be programmed for either the large or small pellet heaters (these heaters use different voltage
settings). See “Configuring the Control Board“ for details. It also includes a diagnostic feature that allows the end
user to diagnose common problems without having to inspect the wiring or components. The indicator lights on
the control board will display a maintenance code after a problem has been detected. See “Diagnostic Codes†for
details. NOTE: the new wiring harness (250-00017) is required to utilize this feature.

Configuring the Control Board
Configuring for Large or Small Heaters
The control board is initially configured for the large heaters (Astoria, Yankee, Arbor, and Leyden). To change the
configuration the control board must be in the off position plugged into a cold stove, (no lights or running
components) with the jumper molex removed (see the illustration below). In this condition press and hold the
manual auger button down and press both fan up and fan down arrow keys at the same time. All heat output
lights will flash. One flash denotes the large pellet heater configuration. Two flashes denote the small pellet heater
configuration (Newport and Pioneer models). Repeat pressing the keys until the correct configuration is obtained.

Using this Control Board with Older Wiring Harnesses
When the control board is installed on an older wire harness the 4 pin molex jumper plug on the back of the
control board next to the stock wire harness must be installed. This jumper replaces the diagnostic wires (see
“Wiring Diagramâ€) that are present on the new wiring harness. The control board will work normally, but the
diagnostic capabilities will not function.

Attachments

• TravisMolexConnector.jpg
    TravisMolexConnector.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 361
Don2222 said:
Hello Scott

Here is the Hudson River Saranac Digital Control Board Replacement Part from Stonewell Trading Company

Free Shipping for $219.99
Parts CONTROL BOARD, SARANAC Pellet Burner Stove # HRSP106S CONTROL BOARD, SARANAC

http://www.stonewelltradingcompany....ONTROL_BOARD_SARANAC_Pellet_Burner_Stove.html

The problem is that Hudson River discontinued the Saranac and the boards that went with them are no longer supported. If you get a new board it is the same as the old ones and they all have the same electronics problem. Paying $219 for the same bad Chinese board does not make sense to me.

The York board worked perfectly. I ran it for well over an hour watching the change in fire every 9 minutes up and then back down. I set the draft for a high draft install (less mechanical air in) and seemed to do better at getting an acceptable flame height.

I hear ya all about mods and possible unsafe conditions,,..sometimes it works out, other times it doesn't. This time it did.

smwilliamson said:
Don2222 said:
Hello Scott

Here is the Hudson River Saranac Digital Control Board Replacement Part from Stonewell Trading Company

Free Shipping for $219.99
Parts CONTROL BOARD, SARANAC Pellet Burner Stove # HRSP106S CONTROL BOARD, SARANAC

http://www.stonewelltradingcompany....ONTROL_BOARD_SARANAC_Pellet_Burner_Stove.html

The problem is that Hudson River discontinued the Saranac and the boards that went with them are no longer supported. If you get a new board it is the same as the old ones and they all have the same electronics problem. Paying $219 for the same bad Chinese board does not make sense to me.

The York board worked perfectly. I ran it for well over an hour watching the change in fire every 9 minutes up and then back down. I set the draft for a high draft install (less mechanical air in) and seemed to do better at getting an acceptable flame height.

I hear ya all about mods and possible unsafe conditions,,..sometimes it works out, other times it doesn't. This time it did.

Good work Scott - You are the man!!!

Scott,

The only reason I stated a warning is for the folks that may take it as you can use any board in any stove. I am sure the mods will agree with me on the warning.

Don,

Thanks for the info on the Travis boards! I know Enviro has a universal board that has several program's and you just select what one to use for the stove you are going to use it in. I think Englander has a similar feature in there control boards.

I didn't mean to cause a rukus! Just making sure peeps know there not all plug and play.

Harman has DIP switches so that one board can run most of all of their product too. Exclusions are the P38, and those other stoves without igniters...though you could snap off the toggle switch in the manual mode and turn all DIP switches off and you would have the board for the P61, Invincible T and some others pre igniters.

Status
Not open for further replies.