huge oak to come down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsmaster

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2010
N.W. Ohio
May be cutting my 2012 2013 wood before my 2011 2012 wood. called the electric company about taking down a huge dying oak in my front yard and it sounds like they may do it for free. Will find out later this week.
Have lots of dead white ash to cut for this coming winter But don't think the oak will be ready by then. Only catch the lady said is I have to keep the wood. No problem I told her. I'll attach a picture from last year.

Attachments

• tree 1.jpg
    tree 1.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 1,018
  • big oak tree.jpg
    big oak tree.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 1,014
  • seth and tree.jpg
    seth and tree.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 990
That is one big circumference Oak. Be sure to count the rings. Sucks that is is on the decline but by the size of that base I am not surprised. A ton of wood in those branches let alone the trunk !! I hope they will take it down for you for free, the stump that will be left is gonna be the size of a kitchen table !

Shawn

I grabbed some oak that I c/s/s in the spring last year. Threw it in the stove today and had the first poorly burning fire ever. I grabbed a couple of random pieces from piles that were falling apart and knew they may not be that dry. Well they weren't. Oak is a 2 year dry at least, post c/s/s.

Bummer
But better a controlled take down vs uncontrolled.
Save on future head aches.
Gotta be a cord there per 8' of trunk alone.
BTUs for years.
Good luck

Too bad it has to come down but at least it comes down for free and you will get all those BTU's! That is one big oak for sure and you've got your work cut out for you..

Ray

That's either a very big oak or a very small kid!

Bad the tree has to come down but if they will drop it for you, that is super great. Enjoy some good firewood.

PapaDave said:
It's a real shame you have to keep the wood. What in the world are you supposed to do with that much wood, ....burn it?

I'll have to figure something out. maybe pay extra to have hauled away, Just kidding. Hopefully they quarter the trunk rounds, but I doubt it. I do have a friend in the logging bis that owes me a favor so we'll see...

I came across some city guys taking an oak down. They were really willing to cut to the sizes I need.

My bet is the guys will be out there all day, and its getting warmer out, a case of beer could go a looooong way!

I hope they are cutting the trunk up for you. It looks like you may need a 36 inch bar twice on there to cut it.

shawneyboy said:
That is one big circumference Oak. Be sure to count the rings. Sucks that is is on the decline but by the size of that base I am not surprised. A ton of wood in those branches let alone the trunk !! I hope they will take it down for you for free, the stump that will be left is gonna be the size of a kitchen table !

Shawn

He can put chairs around it and use it as a picnic table

Talked to the engineer that's supposed to be coming to look at the tree and he talked like they would only take the tree down and it would be my job to buck it up. I tried
to convince him they needed to buck the trunk Because it is to big for my saw. Either way I hope they take it down. I'd hate for it to fall over the road and take the power out. If it fell the other way it would ruin some trees. I could probably get my logger friend to buck the trunk for me. The outer limbs have been dead for a few years so I imagine that they will start to break off during storms. so far no big limbs have come down just small stuff.

woodmaster, do you still have that woodpile in the picture? that is my favorite, I would like to see the full size picture again.

I hope these are it.

Attachments

• wood pile (7).jpg
    wood pile (7).jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 621
Well someone from the elec. company came out and looked at the tree. they said that they have a tree service do the work and would ask them if they could drop it but also said
thier goal is to just keep it from hitting the power lines should it fall the wrong way so they may just trim it way down. My logger friend had said in the past that if It was trimed down he would drop it for me so
sounds like it will be coming down, maybe in two stages. At least that way I could clean up one mess before I make another. Now waiting for the tree service to come take a look and give me a date and plan.
J.T.

I hope this all works out well for you.

woodsmaster said:
I hope these are it.
thats a frekin sweet house pretty impressive.

Any guesses on the cordage in that behemoth?!!

ecocavalier02 said:
woodsmaster said:
I hope these are it.
thats a frekin sweet house pretty impressive.

Thanks It's about 120 years old. re-sided it last spring. I get it sealed up a little better each year.

Woody Stover said:
Any guesses on the cordage in that behemoth?!!

I guess the first 18 - 20 ' of trunk = 2 cord probably another 2 or 3 cord in limbs. Just a wild guess of course.

Our electric coop crews around here buck everything they cut in easements to about 18 inches, even big trunks. When they were doing some clearing on my property once I gave them a 21 inch stick and asked them to cut it to that size. Of course, after the first couple of cuts they were just eyeballing it but they were consistently close.

Kenster said:
Our electric coop crews around here buck everything they cut in easements to about 18 inches, even big trunks. When they were doing some clearing on my property once I gave them a 21 inch stick and asked them to cut it to that size. Of course, after the first couple of cuts they were just eyeballing it but they were consistently close.

I hope they buck everything, but if not I will be happy just to not have to rent a lift to cut the limbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.