hung a tree up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lfunk11

Jan 8, 2010
Morgantown, WV
I had a tree that was showing some signs of rot so I had some time and wanted to take it down. Well I am still somewhat a novice at taking trees down so I am usually really careful and still worry about what might go wrong. I was a bit nervous since there was rot on the trunk with some of the bark off, but I took it slow and it started to fall, but I missed my target zone by about 5' and it just got snagged on another tree. It didn't fall much so it didn't have enough momentum to break through the few branches holding it up, but it wasn't hung up enough to be messing with it all that much. It was getting dark so I came in to research the best way to bring it down. I finally decided to hook up my Ram and pull it down. After watching one youtube video after another I started to get excited about using the truck and then BOOM! The tree came down on its own - lol. I am going to measure it in the morning, but I think it has to be at least 50"+, but not all that wide. Most trees here are tall and skinny.

We live at the end of a road in a somewhat remote area so there was zero danger of anyone coming near this tree. They would have to be messing in the woods on my property so I felt fine leaving until the morning.

Those things are dangerous though and shows you how they can just come down on their own so be safe. This was ~3 hours after it initially got caught up too. No wind to speak of!

If they're not hung up too bad, and fairly small, you can sometimes spin them out with a peavey. No matter how you try to get it down, it's all dangerous business.

Woody Stover said:
If they're not hung up too bad, and fairly small, you can sometimes spin them out with a peavey. No matter how you try to get it down, it's all dangerous business.

I haven't had much experience with rotted trunks and didn't want to mess with it too much with me standing there. It was rotten on the uphill side away from where it was leaning so not sure if that could break right there and split violently. I really need a tractor for stuff like this and a million other things I want to get done around the house.

I'm glad to hear that it came down by itself with no one around - that is always the best way! I really do not like dealing with hung-up trees of any size. I don't have a tractor so when I'm cutting it's just me out in the woods with my saw. I've taken down my share but I always get nervous and go really slow because I picture every possible way it could go wrong.

Last spring I took down a dead oak on my property with a 2' diameter. It got hung up in several places. I waited a few weeks for the wind to take it down but no luck. I decided to take it down one afternoon and told my wife to check on me if I wasn't back in an hour. After going VERY slowly I got it down. I checked my watch and almost 2 hours had passed! The wife was caught up in a good book and lost track of time! I told her she either has a lot of faith in me or wants the life insurance!

red oak said:
I'm glad to hear that it came down by itself with no one around - that is always the best way! I really do not like dealing with hung-up trees of any size. I don't have a tractor so when I'm cutting it's just me out in the woods with my saw. I've taken down my share but I always get nervous and go really slow because I picture every possible way it could go wrong.

Last spring I took down a dead oak on my property with a 2' diameter. It got hung up in several places. I waited a few weeks for the wind to take it down but no luck. I decided to take it down one afternoon and told my wife to check on me if I wasn't back in an hour. After going VERY slowly I got it down. I checked my watch and almost 2 hours had passed! The wife was caught up in a good book and lost track of time! I told her she either has a lot of faith in me or wants the life insurance!

My wife was making jokes about it when I was a bit freaked out that it got hung up. I tried to explain why they are called widowmakers, but she never really understood how dangerous they can be.

lfunk11 said:
Woody Stover said:

I haven't had much experience with rotted trunks and didn't want to mess with it too much with me standing there. It was rotten on the uphill side away from where it was leaning so not sure if that could break right there and split violently. I really need a tractor for stuff like this and a million other things I want to get done around the house.

Okay, so now that its down better head off to the John deere dealer and try to fix the tractor problem............LOL

"Okay, so now that its down better head off to the John deere dealer and try to fix the tractor problem….........LOL "

Yeah, I think that was the moral of the story.

I really want a tractor, but I just don't have the money right now and would rather get a boat first.

Took another one down and it hit right where I wanted :) Got the first one mostly cut up, but the lack of a tractor is causing issues again since my lawn mower can't pull too much out of the woods at a time, but it does pretty good for only being 13hp and pretty old. Our lot is pretty steep and even with chains on it had some issues with traction so I guess its more a traction issue, but I am sure a nice tractor would help out SO MUCH! I also want a better saw too, I bought a Husqvarna at Lowes, but I think something with more power would help out. Mine does fine, but it can take a bit with the larger trees.

oh yeah a splitter as well...

lol

lfunk, you could always pick up a used atv for hauling the wood out. You can even haul the whole log out before cutting if you want to.

Haulinglogs2.jpg

Haulingwood-1.jpg

As for those trees that are rotting, they can be the worst ones to cut!!!!!! Always be super careful and don't be afraid to back off if it warrants it. And once a tree hangs, sometimes Mother Nature will be kind and help you out. I've had more than one hang on me and then go back a few days later and it is down.

lfunk,this works for me a lot.Especially in tight spots where full size GMC 4 X 4 wont quite fit.Most any time I can get within 40 ft,usually closer where the trees are already down or need to be dropped.Even on my steep slopes.Traction is the main concern,mainly if there's been a recent rain.Otherwise its great.I dont mind carrying the splits or smaller rounds,not too far though.Routinely haul 500+ lbs in that sturdy cart,John Deere 110 pulls it effortlessly up the hills or on the level.I'd like a good used skidsteer with rubber tracks and grapple claw,that'll have to wait quite a while however.

Attachments

• 1st load of 4 today 90511.jpg
    1st load of 4 today 90511.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 179
  • new small winch on John Deere 110.jpg
    new small winch on John Deere 110.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 192
Status
Not open for further replies.