Hung Up Leaner Down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
I decided to make a small trail in from the top so I could get this Sugar Maple. I thought that after one or two cuts it would roll out of the tree it was leaning on, after four cuts it finally came down.

Bucked up the Sugar Maple then rolled it down the hill to the trail, I took 27 rounds of Sugar Maple home which will be split and stacked this weekend.

Attachments

• 100_4297.jpg
    100_4297.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 425
  • 100_4298.jpg
    100_4298.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 380
  • 100_4300.jpg
    100_4300.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 387
  • 100_4301.jpg
    100_4301.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 382
  • 100_4302.jpg
    100_4302.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 394
  • 100_4303.jpg
    100_4303.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 388
  • 100_4304-1.jpg
    100_4304-1.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 379
  • 100_4305-1.jpg
    100_4305-1.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 398
Awesome pic's Zap! Its still warm here, way better than last year at this time.

Lookin' good Zap.Most days have been lo mid 50's past week or two,set a record of 67 here yesterday,lo 50's again today.Lo 40's with cold rain/snow mix expected tommorow,not to be over 47 for the high all next week.Its gonna be here pretty soon now,so far has been milder than last year.I covered my 2nd small crop of lettuce with a blanket a few nights last week & this week,its still growing. ;-) 21 last Friday morning,ground temps are still in upper 40's. Never had any plants survive outside this late,everything else is either picked,moved indoors or dead lol.

Good job, I have a couple of maple leaners of similar size i need to take down. They're leaning on two smaller white pines, 4 inch dia mayb, with a larger pine in the drop zone, but not touching. I'm thinking my approach may be to notch the pines to weaken them, hook the winch cable from the ATV to the maple, pull tight and then cut the maple.

Adkjake said:
Good job, I have a couple of maple leaners of similar size i need to take down. They're leaning on two smaller white pines, 4 inch dia mayb, with a larger pine in the drop zone, but not touching. I'm thinking my approach may be to notch the pines to weaken them, hook the winch cable from the ATV to the maple, pull tight and then cut the maple.

Lots of pressure coming back at you when cutting these, the 25 inch bar gave me a few extra steps away from the tree. Be careful on yours.

Thanks
Zap

Nice going on that leaner, zap! Sugar maple is like candy for woodburners, eh? I'm always wary of leaners, 'cept for the small ones.

Gark said:
Nice going on that leaner, zap! Sugar maple is like candy for woodburners, eh? I'm always wary of leaners, 'cept for the small ones.

We love the sugar maple, if it's down or a leaner like this we will take it.

Thanks
Zap

Looks good, I see that the snow melted already.
Nice pics

Yeah, was 50* here in the Adirondacks yesterday. Forecast is for same temps for the next few days, with some showers on Sun and Mon. Goodbye snow. Good news for me, as I can get back to hauling that big score of mine!

Good stuff zap. Splitting day here today. Temps will probably be high 60's even 70...

Looks like another great day today, just having some coffee then I'm heading back in for some cherry. FireAnt,lets get some pictures of the splitting up tonight, if I recall you have plenty of wood to split.

AdkJake, be careful on that pile of logs, great score.

woodchip, sure does look better, I did notice some sugar maples in that area that lost their tops, future btu's.

Bogydave, keep that snow & cold for another month or so.

zap

Those can be the fun ones to cut so long as you know what you are doing.

Talk about leaners.... Would this classify as a leaner or hanger?
Last pic I decided to take a break from looking at that leaner/hanger........

Attachments

• Leaner1.jpg
    Leaner1.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 216
  • Leaner2.jpg
    Leaner2.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 227
  • Rest.jpg
    Rest.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 217
Diabel said:

I would say it's both.

zap

Diabel said:

Looks like a "dead fall" trap to me.
Stay away from the trigger. :)

zapny said:
Diabel said:

I would say it's both.

zap

gravity will take care of this one!

bogydave said:
Diabel said:

Looks like a "dead fall" trap to me.
Stay away from the trigger. :)

pics were taken couple of weeks ago (hunting season), trigger was quite silent!
Mr buck once again outsmarted me....

Status
Not open for further replies.