hurricane stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

curber

Feeling the Heat
Oct 6, 2011
south east idaho
So I'm just wondering why there's not more info on the net about hurricane wood stoves? I've got two of them. A double door big stove and a single door smaller one. I think there a pretty good stove. Just wondering what others opinion is of them? Pat

I moved this to the classic stove forum because I'm fairly certain these stoves have some age on them.

Did you buy these units or did they come with the house?

Welcome to the site.

pen

curber said:
So I'm just wondering why there's not more info on the net about hurricane wood stoves? I've got two of them. A double door big stove and a single door smaller one. I think there a pretty good stove. Just wondering what others opinion is of them? Pat

I remember seeing ads for them, but don't know much.
I will see if I can locate an ad or spec sheet.

I bought the stoves. They have a really good blower/heat tube system that really kicks out the heat. I've been burning the big one in the basement for about 4 days. We have had snow and cold nights hear in Idaho falls. Thanks Pat

Good deal Pat. Can you post some pictures of the stoves?

Hears the little one. Not installed yet and I'm not sure I need it in the house.

Attachments

• hearth.com 008.jpg
    hearth.com 008.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 3,333
And the big one I'm currently using. And also how I'm storing my wood. When I need to fill the wood box I put a scrap piece of 12 inch pvc threw the window and send the wood down it into the wood box. Works great.

Attachments

• hearth.com 049.jpg
    hearth.com 049.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 4,209
  • hearth.com 050.jpg
    hearth.com 050.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 3,790
  • hearth.com 059.jpg
    hearth.com 059.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 2,410
  • hearth.com 060.jpg
    hearth.com 060.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 2,079
Thanks! It's an interesting design with what looks like a large convection chamber on top of the fire box. Is there a baffle in there too?

No baffle. The flames just heat the tubes that the blower blows threw. It seems to work good so far.

I lived in Idaho Falls 1971-1974...I know how cold it can get there. B-r-r-r-r! Rick

Hi, I live just south of Pocatello, i've seen a lot of these stoves for sale in this area but havn't seen much mention of them on this site, they have a neat wildlife scene on the door that i've seen painted silver too, i like your way of bringing in wood, gives me an idea as i will be installing a wood eating dragon in my basement soon too! I was wondering how big your house is and whether or not that stove seems to be heating the whole house? Thanks for your post!

Attachments

• 5Q05U05R43k03m53o7ba9e7fff12aec9b12bc.jpg
    5Q05U05R43k03m53o7ba9e7fff12aec9b12bc.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 2,338
House is 2200sq ft and we've had the stove going these last few cold nights. I have a duct booster fan in the floor just about strait above the stove. The stove does heat the whole house very good so far. The temps are about 85-90 in the family room downstairs (close to the stove) and 70-75 upstairs. I know where I can get another one of those big crates for 40.00 if you want one. Pat

Hello, I'm new here but stumbled on this thread and had to interject...

Curber: I have the exact same stove (almost) - it is identical, probably in every way, but it is rear "discharge". It has the pipe coming out of the back of the stove.

I'm in the same boat as everyone - I would love to see some factory paperwork on the stove (specs, btu, clearances, etc). It looks like Craig has the book, but the page is missing! Now that's just bad luck for those of us with this stove!

I've reviewed some of the guidelines posted on this site concerning clearances, etc, but I would like to see factory spec's on this stove, if at all possible. So, I'm bringing this thread back to the top with the hope that someone can come up with something. I've google'd it until I'm exhausted - all I can find is ads (and expired ads) of Hurricane stoves for sale on Craigslist, etc. Majorly frustrating.

I'm in the process of checking local code, but I would appreciate anybody's advice on installing the stove. I grew up with primary heat woodstoves, but haven't installed one myself. Can someone point me to the "bible", concerning installation of non-UL stoves? I apologize - I know everything I need is on this site, but I haven't had too much time to browse.

Glad to be part of the site (forum). Thanks, Wayne

I pulled a few of them out and replaced them with newer stoves. I don't have any idea on BTU rating or anything but they were heavy and seemed well constructed. Just pre EPA. I'm surprised out of three stoves the tags aren't on atleast one of them. I don't have the ones we pulled out anymore they're long sold on consignment.

Yes, it surprised me that I could find no tag also. Not even sure where the tag should be, but I know mine doesn't have one on it. Yes, the hinges and stuff are still tight, and it has a nice blower that is integrated from blowing low on the back of the stove, up and through the tubing that is welded into the top of the stove (see Redbear's photo above). Mine seems to be in very good shape. I'm excited to get it installed, but that will be a week or two at least. Again, any and all info. anyone can give me about this stove will be greatly appreciated. It has the deer on the left door, a moose on the right door, and a mountain scene on both. Anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing more responses! Thanks!

So, my Hurricane stove looks like the above photos, but it is rear vent, 8". It also has a handle that comes out of the front, above the doors and below the blower tubes, to control a damper that's in the outlet. It's a rod that runs through the top of the firebox to the damper assembly. I'm not sure what type of handle it had on the end of the rod initially - I welded a piece of 1/2" round to the end of it where I will install a spring to keep the heat down. Anyway, I have a stupid question: Since the stove has it's own damper, do I need to have a damper in the stovepipe? I initially thought I would install one, and that way I could close both, but the more I think about it, I'm not so sure... For all I know, two dampers will not be useful, because it will be too much and just choke the fire completely. Can some of you share your experiences/knowledge on this subject? Thanks in advance, Wayne

Hey pat i saw your stove for sale on Craigslist, did you get an upgrade?

He just brought back home some Harmany.

Yeah I scored a harmon tl300. Where you at in se Idaho? Pat

a little south of arimo, i commute to pocatello for work

Hi there. I have a large Hurricane Stove that I've been using here in the Pacific Northwest for 30years. Wood is our only source of heat and the Hurricane is going 24/7 for around 8 months a year. The door latch (right door) has become loose due to the hole that the arm passes through is rounding out and has become too large. I've jury rigged it several times but its slowly wearing out to the point that it can't be repaired any more. I need a right side door. Does anyone know where I can find one? Thanks, Ron

Dont know about the door but theres a whole nother stove hear on craigslist. Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.