Husky 346 xp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mywaynow

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2010
Northeast
If you have this saw, how do you like it?

Where did you get yours, and what did you pay?

I have not talked to local dealers yet, other than a TSC which can't get this model. Locals are all some distance away. I am a bit skeptical about buying from a net dealer, but cost is an issue.

Thanks for the info....

very strong 50cc saw price will come in at 500.00-550.00.

I went with the Dolmar 5100 since it was as good and $100 plus less expensive. I'm certain I would be pretty happy with it.

When I get into 20" plus diameter trees I like a bigger saw. My Domar/makita 6400 is good but will probably get bumped to 79cc eventually.

ATB,
Mike P

5100 "as good" as 346 is questionable--weight and responsiveness alone are much different.
In any case, the 346 is about as reputable a saw as you'll find--if it's in your price range and needs, you absolutely cannot go wrong with it.

S

Just saw through websites that Stihl has 1 year warranty (90 days for professional use) vs. 2 year warranty for Husky. That is substantial.

Warranty comes up once in a while, and some people are stuck on warranties. For me, I'd take a 4-year warranted Mercedes over a 10-year warranted Kia.

S

thinkxingu said:
Warranty comes up once in a while, and some people are stuck on warranties. For me, I'd take a 4-year warranted Mercedes over a 10-year warranted Kia.

S

+1

I would agree completely that warranties on faulty or cheap stuff is not of much value. Who needs to deal with a failing product, whether or not it costs you money. However, the two saws that seem to be of similar quality, the ms261 and the 346xp, are both higher quality products. For this reason I would put value in the warranty difference.

I have one and love it. This saw has a great following for a reason. I also had an MS260 which was a nice saw but ended up selling it as the 346 is a much better saw (IMO). I bought mine lightly used for $325.

I have pondered used on this, but that scares me. I don't know enough mechanically to discriminate between an engine that may have issues or not. Last used item I bought was a 69 Camaro that ended up having a bent crankshaft. I will go the extra when the right deal arrives. I do believe the 346 is the one to go with. The only thing that may persuade me is that I have an inside lane with a Stihl dealer. If they cough up a really nice number, like 450 or less, on the 261, I may go that route. They are close, and that is a good thing.

From what I have read, the 346Xp is a great 50cc saw. I would like to have one to replace my 55 Rancher. I have absolutely no reason to buy one sine my 55 works great.....unless I could find a great deal on a used one. Keep a eye out on Craigslist and you may find one pretty cheap. I look at Craigslist quite a bit and unfortunately found one in the next state over from me for $375.00. Good price, but not worth the drive.

I understand about being wary on buying used. It is a big game of chance, and it is definitely a risk. I bought my 372XP from someone that had it for sale on Craigslist. I got a good deal on it and there was nothing wrong with it. If the saw is in good condition and very clean, that is a good indicator it is probably fine. I like to talk to the seller about what I am buying first. I can generally tell if they are not being completely honest. Of course, running it should indicate any issues as well.

Look on eBay. They have 346Xps for sale, but they are a hot item and the price is usually bid up too high for it to be worthwhile.

346xp as an everyday firewood saw, is nearly impossible to beat. Its fast as hell, light, did I mention fast?

Very good quality saw. Buy one and you'll need a lot of rags to wipe the smile off your face everytime you use it.

mrfjsf said:
Very good quality saw. Buy one and you'll need a lot of rags to wipe the smile off your face everytime you use it.

That's the way I feel every time I run my 372XP.

I have entertained a Stihl due to proximity of dealer. I do believe I will be going the way of the xp saw. So far, best price is 480 at my door with the 20 inch bar. I am still checking other suppliers though.

Overall, that's not a bad price. The last time I was at the Husqvarna dealer, I think they were $500 before tax.

Others with the 346XP may know, but a 20" bar may be a tad bit on the big side? I only say that because 18" is plenty big for my 55 Rancher. But, I'm comparing apples to oranges. I thought I would mention that just in case. The ones that actually own a 346XP can say for sure.

I really need an all-around saw, and I am bucking large trees, upwards of 42 inches. I would like just a bit more reach than my 18" Poulan, but don't want a heavy saw. I need to limb and basically travel top to bottom with the same saw. This saw is just over 11lbs, and that seems alot more friendly than a 14+ lb 455 Rancher. Plus, I want to have a saw that will last a decade at least given my current load of 15-20 cord/yr. Don't think I will ever catch up with burning at that rate, but would not mind selling some to help offset costs.

I understand. You may be perfectly fine with the 20" bar. I looked up the specs. My 55 Rancher is a 3.3hp saw and weighs 11.4 pounds. The 346XP is a 3.7hp saw and weighs 11 pounds. The 346XP should be a higher revving saw too.

Looking around on eBay and Craigslist in the past, I see they usually come with a 20" bar, so it must be standard.

myway, you may want to ask around about sizing for that saw. I know a few people who wouldn't go larger than an 18, especially if you'll be burying the bar in New England oak! You might wanna add a pound or so and look for a Stihl 361/362 or keep an eye out for the new 560XP (not sure about specs here, but people are touting it as the '362 killer').

S

The reality of the 346XP is this: You won't find a finer 50cc class saw around that performs as well, has as good of balance and responds well to porting/muffler modding. I have a 260 I just bought off Craigslist (only had about 10 hours on it) and the 346 NE and the little I've cut with the 260 I'll take the 346 over it any day as a new purchase. Overall the 346 just has more oommff and better balance. This may change with the new stratocharged replacement for the 260 but for the time being if you want a 50cc class firewood saw I can't recommend the 346 enough.

I find that in all but the biggest wood I reach for my 346 before my 372, 440 or my 036 and my 056 well only the really big stuff warrants I use it.

mywaynow said:
I really need an all-around saw, and I am bucking large trees, upwards of 42 inches.

The 346XP is an outstanding firewood saw and cuts "big" for its size/weight. Having said that if you are bucking up 42" trees IMO you should be looking at a much larger saw (70cc +). Even with your concerns about weight, a larger saw is going to get through the cut on a big trunk much faster than any 50cc saw and hence probably give the user less fatigue in the long run.

Nic36 said:
I understand. You may be perfectly fine with the 20" bar. I looked up the specs. My 55 Rancher is a 3.3hp saw and weighs 11.4 pounds. The 346XP is a 3.7hp saw and weighs 11 pounds. The 346XP should be a higher revving saw too.

Looking around on eBay and Craigslist in the past, I see they usually come with a 20" bar, so it must be standard.

The 346 will pull a 20" bar, but IMO is happier with 16-18".

If I had to regularly deat with 36' plus trees I'd be swinging a 70cc class saw. Dolmar 7900 for me. The 50cc class saw is fine for limbing down but the big trunks take a long time with a smaller saw.

ATB,
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.