Husky 50 Chainsaw starting help needed !!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

River19

Nov 19, 2008
Southern Ma & Northern VT
In 1989 my father picked up a new Husky 50 and I have since stole it from his garage so to speak. A couple weeks ago he brought to his small engine dealer and they worked it over and it was running when it left the shop.

Of course now when I need it I cannot for the life of me get it to start, I have pulled the spark plug a couple times and wiped it clean, while it was out I slowly cycled the engine by pull the start cord to vent the cylinder. Heck I even stuck in a new plug.

I'd like to think starting a damn chainsaw wasn't that complicated but it seems like I'm trying to launch the space shuttle here.......

Simple stuff, chain break on, switch in run position vs. stop, throttle loced, choke open..........pull my brains out and nothing. Tried with the brake on and off assuming that it had some saftety feature to prevent starting without the brake on............at least according to my father, I saw no mention of this in the manual.

I'm really starting to think I'm a moron..............

Any help?

Thanks

Steve

Not a husky guy but maybe I can help....

Is there fuel on the plug when you pull it out??

Is there spark???

I think you need to have it on full choke till it gurgles then take it off choke and it should start right up.. If it is on full choke and it "pops" and you keep pulling it will flood...

There is fuel on the plug when I pulled it................

I was on full choke the whole time. I don't even get a gurgle from her...........not to the point where it farted some smoke or anything. It sounds like it wants to catch but it just won't.........after about 3-4 pulls I smell some fuel so I know at that point it is flooded..............

I'll have to give it another whirl later this week (the saw is at out cabin......where it is needed).

Once it sounds off even if it is a very little you need to let off the choke to prevent flooding...

Where are you located???I am from hopkinton ma myself.......

River19 said:
I was on full choke the whole time...
I don't think you should ever do more than 3 pulls on full choke and then switch to half choke. Does it have a throttle lock and if so are you locking it on high idle?

LLigetfa said:
River19 said:
I was on full choke the whole time...
I don't think you should ever do more than 3 pulls on full choke and then switch to half choke. Does it have a throttle lock and if so are you locking it on high idle?
Two good tips from LLigetfa. Also pull the plug and squirt a little starter fluid and replace the plug and try it. If it fires you are getting close. Fresh gas is a must these days. Be safe,
Ed

too much air: check filter for hole
not enough spark : check gap, coil, coil wire may be grounding out, check loose connection on/off switch, all wiring
bad gas : is there stabilizer and you using high octane?

Thanks for the ideas guys.........I'll give it a whirl next weekend (saw is at the cabin and I'm back to the usual grind in MA vs. VT).

I'll try some new gas and go super unleaded just for giggles.

Starter fluid? What kind?

As for the saw, yes it has a throttle lock, locks at about 1/2 throttle or so.

I have no doubt I'm flooding it.

I'll try all these ideas next weekend and hopefully I can get it going and get through my pile of logs.........just the usual 2-5" rounds that came down in winter storms etc. but I would like to put them to good use in the stove this year..........

Thanks again

River19 said:
Thanks for the ideas guys.........I'll give it a whirl next weekend (saw is at the cabin and I'm back to the usual grind in MA vs. VT).

I'll try some new gas and go super unleaded just for giggles.

As for the saw, yes it has a throttle lock, locks at about 1/2 throttle or so.

I have no doubt I'm flooding it.

I'll try all these ideas next weekend and hopefully I can get it going and get through my pile of logs.........just the usual 2-5" rounds that came down in winter storms etc. but I would like to put them to good use in the stove this year..........

Thanks again
Just go to your local auto parts dealer and ask for starter fluid. Get some Stabil for the fuel if your not going to use it very often. Todays gas does not hold up very long. Be safe.
Ed

River19 said:

I don't use starter fluid in 2 strokes since it doesn't have the oil mixed in. I just take an old clean oral veterinary syringe and use it to squirt a little premix into the carb intake when a 2 stroke is stubborn about starting up.

So, here’s the end of the story……….get back up to the cabin this weekend, my buddy was coming up so we can run the dogs getting ready for another hunting season, and of course he is always late (I think everyone has a friend like this)………so I figured I would mow the lawn…………did that………he still hasn’t come……..so I look at the saw, sitting there, mocking me.

I bring it out knowing it won’t start……..flip the choke open (just like I have been doing)…..lock the trigger, pull once and it coughs………holy chit……..kill the choke like you guys suggested, then pulled again…….boom she fires right up…………….friggin’ temperamental saw, figure it must be a female……….

So I proceeded to cut a little over an hour until I couldn’t move my left arm anymore……….

Thanks for the help guys.

Steve

Now you know why I prefer an electric chain saw where ever I can get an extension cord to reach. Just lay out the cord , plug it in & pull the trigger. presto,your cutting wood.!!!

a couple of notes about electric chain saws .

pros
electric saws don't vibrate and are easy on the opperator.
They start right up first time.
they are light wieght.

Cons

They are not heavy duty. They will not tollerate any abuse.
You must let them cut at their own speed and not force them at all.
they are slower than a gas saw to cut but don't take 30 minutes of pulling & swearing to start.

WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT ELECTRIC CHAIN SAWS

They are direct drive from the electric motor through a plastic reduction gear that , being plastic will break off teeth and ruin the saw if any force stops the chain from free turning.

#1 Rule ! Don't ever pinch an electric chain & bar in a log & when you do, let go the trigger immediately so that you dont break the plastic reduction gear. Use a plastic wedge to get the saw unpinched.

the electic saw does not have a clutch to slip if the chain gets bound or pinched; it is direct drive instead and so the reduction gear breaks instead of the clutch slipping.

even the chain break can cause the plastic reduction gear to break a tooth so dont use the chain break unelse you really have to.

I believe that the smaller & cheaper electric saws are the best cut for the buck because the 4 hp electrics still funnel all that power through the same cheap plastic reduction gear. which will take more of a beating with 4 hp & break sooner than it does with 1.5 hp.

I have a 10 in poulan electric limb trim with 8ft handle , a 12"remington elec., a 14 in remington electric, a 14 in wen electric, 3- 16 inch mccolloch electrics & a 18 inch 4hp poulan pro electric that I just bought on sale.

They all still run after 2 to 4 years of cutting 6 to 12 cord a yr.
& I bought them all used from craigslist except for the 10 in poulan & the 18 in poulan which I bought new.

Of the small saws the wen seems to cut the fastest, closely followed buy the mccullocks, with the remingtons & poulan being slower.

The 18 in poulan 4 hp is quite powerful & fast, but I suspect that it being new with a new factory sharp chain has a lot to do with its speed of cutting.

I resharpen my own chains with the 5/32 file & holder , but sometimes the chains don't cut so good & some times they cut great. I guess it depends on my mood when I resharpen them.

I also have 2-- 14 in,33cc homelite gas saws, the first was a solid body & the second vibration mounted handle & a 20 inch homelite 45cc gas saw vibration mounted handle & a sears 18 in gas that runs if i squart 2 cycle fuel into the carb but wont carburate gas into the engine on its own.

I only use to gas saws where there is no electricity or if I an cutting a big tree trunk where I expect to have a good chance of pinching a chain.

I think I must be doing something wrong . . . it never takes me a half hour to start my gasoline-powered saw. ;) :)

Of course I don't think an electric chainsaw would work very well for me . . . I would need one heckuva long extension cord to get it into the woods to cut down the trees. ;)

From my persepctive, half the fun of using a chainsaw is the sound, the smell, the power, the ENGINE !!!!

Fort he record, last week it took about 15 seconds to get the saw started, so I guess I had 29:45 left to spare.....

Status
Not open for further replies.