Husqvarna 460 or 555

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bryankloos

Oct 31, 2013
Weston, CT
Hey Guys,

I need a new saw to handle some larger wood. I have a Stihl 021 16" but this is not going to cut it for the larger downed oaks and maples I plan to harvest this month on my fathers property.

I was mostly sold on a 460-24" but am now thinking about the 555-24".

Let me ask a couple questions:

1 - How does the 20 compare with a 24" bar. How often is the extra 4" necessary.
2 - The 460 seems to be more powerful. How would the 555 compare power wise
3 - What are the general advantages of the 555 over the 460

Any other input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Bryan

Hey Guys,

I need a new saw to handle some larger wood. I have a Stihl 021 16" but this is not going to cut it for the larger downed oaks and maples I plan to harvest this month on my fathers property.

I was mostly sold on a 460-24" but am now thinking about the 555-24".

Let me ask a couple questions:

1 - How does the 20 compare with a 24" bar. How often is the extra 4" necessary.
2 - The 460 seems to be more powerful. How would the 555 compare power wise
3 - What are the general advantages of the 555 over the 460

Any other input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Bryan

Since no one has replied yet...

Go with the 555. It is a derivative of the 562xp which has an outstanding reputation.

1. 20" is a good match for either saw and is very common for that size saw when used for firewood.
2. 555 is more powerful and is a professional grade saw.
3. 555 has auto tune so no manual adjusting of the carb. 555 = pro saw; 460 = homeowner grade.

FYI the 555 takes a small mount bar and I don't know that there is a 24" small mount bar on the market. Shouldn't impact your decision though. 555 no doubt. If you want a saw to pull a 24" bar with authority look at the 70cc class of saws.

Good luck.

I agree with the above. I would not put a 24" bar on a saw if it did not have at least 70cc's. If I were to get a 60cc saw like the 55 I would put a 20" bar on it.

How big is the lumber your cutting??

Reactions: Clyde S. Dale
If you plan on running a 24' bar, then I'd take a serious look at the Husky 365 or 372xp. Same engine, but the 365 has a little less power and costs $100 less. The 365 can easily be converted to a 372 in a couple hours with a die grinder. I have a 365 and I really like it. 562xp will run a 24' bar too, but not as well as the 365.

I run a 555 with a 20 inch bar and find it has plenty of power with that buried in hardwood. However, I don't think it would have what it takes to make me happy with a 24 inch. The 460 is rated at 3.6hp and the 555 at 4.3hp.

For me, the small bump up in price over the 460 yields a saw with a good bit more power and a build that is more in line with the pro saws. But again, that's running a 20 inch bar.

If I were to only cut 4 cord a year, I'd have gone with the 460 and 20 inch bar. Since I'm more like 12+ cords some years, I bumped up to the 555 and 20 inch.

I think if I were to consider a 24 inch bar as necessary, I'd be looking at a 562xp.

pen

Last edited:
If you're choosing between those two, go with the 555. It's a detuned 562XP, built on the same platform. More power as well.

BUT..... I just got the 365 Xtorq in Novemebr (early CHRISTmas present). If you can swing it, that's the way to go1

Hey Guys

The lumber is oak at about 24-30" diameter. Fallen from Sandy (I thinks) on my fathers property. He has a few LARGE oaks that are down or snagged.
I have a smaller saw for trimming etc but I need something to get through the large rounds. This will be my main saw and I will use the Sthil 021 for smaller tasks and trimming etc.
I guess at 30" I would need 2 passes regardless so maybe I should just stick with the 555 with a 20" bar, or is the 365 with a 20" worth the increase in price.
The wife is going to have a fit with whatever I choose at the end of the day as funds are tight after the holidays...
Thoughts?
Bryan

My father bought a 555 to replace his old 55 with (which replaced my older 51) He has had 3 warranty service calls on it, 1 carb related and 2 for the bar oil pump, in less than a year. He bought the 555 given the 55's bulletproof service, but is now starting to wonder. We will see how it does this year.

I have run a 24" bar with both the 51 and the 55. My advice is to go with the 20" bar.

I had this exact thread about a month ago.
After going back and forth about it, I bought the 555. Pro-saw, more features, more HP, more durable, etc. Just seemed to make sense.

I've got a 555 with a mm and a dolmar 7900. The 555 will run with it in wood to 20" and has a better throttle response. I love the auto tune, overall one of my favorite saws. Mine will slang a 24" bar but that's definately the limit with the small mount and power/oiler limitations of the saw. I had a 455 and while it'll get the job done neither it or the 460 compare to a 555.

Status
Not open for further replies.