Hybrid Stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mellow

Resident Stove Connoisseur
Jan 19, 2008
Salisbury, MD
Hybrid's have been around for many years, in 1994 this Ultimate Heating Systems BV large fireplace insert was made using a cat and secondary air technology.

What I would like to know is do you see this as a fad or a cycle? This technology has been around for a while, 20+ years, why now the explosion of new hybrid stoves? As far as I know nothing new in wood stove tech has been created that wasn't already used in the past.

I am all for new cleaning burning technology, but really what is NEW about this?

I think all these hybrids are coming out in anticipation of upcoming regs that might not be achievable with secondary burn or catalysts alone. Blaze King did tests a few years ago showing that while cat stoves are cleaner than non-cats at low burn, on high burns they are dirtier. Using both technologies would get the best of both technologies - a cleaner burn from low to high output.

http://www.chc-hpba.org/images/Renewable Heat Symposium.pdf - look at page 5

Old tech does not always mean forgotten tech. Model T's got 25-30 mpg back in the 20's, electric cars were popular a couple decades before that. Now this tech is being revised and refined. Sometimes it takes a new need (more expensive fuel, epa regs, etc.) to cause a revisit to old tech for new solutions.

No, not universally.

blue dome assembly drawing 2.jpg Mellow:

Thank you. While some have thought hybrid technology was new, you show in 1994 is was already being done.

To move it even further back in time, BK made a "hybrid" wood stove in 1983. We sold thousands of these models with thousands certainly still in service.

Combining secondary combustion with catalytic combustion may have even been done earlier than ours in 1983, however probably not as many were sold as the PEJ1000.

Here's a blue print of the ol' gal!

Chris

Hybrid's have been around for many years, in 1994 this Ultimate Heating Systems BV large fireplace insert was made using a cat and secondary air technology.

What I would like to know is do you see this as a fad or a cycle? This technology has been around for a while, 20+ years, why now the explosion of new hybrid stoves? As far as I know nothing new in wood stove tech has been created that wasn't already used in the past.

I am all for new cleaning burning technology, but really what is NEW about this?

Reactions: webby3650

Most definitely not a new technology but you'll find a big difference in how they operate, or clean up, in today's stoves. That is what is new. And we might see more of them but I don't think necessarily unless some manufacturers see their sales drop off while hybrid stoves pick up. Then it would definitely make sense for them to come out with their own hybrids.

I hope they don't get too complicated. The more things they have on these stoves the more problems they will have. Look at pellet stoves, maintenance nightmare. I also don't think anyone can tell the difference in the real world between 75% or 85% efficiency or 1 GPM verses 5 GPM emissions. If the EPA continues down this road to cleaner and cleaner stoves maybe they will just ban them all together.

I agree Todd.

The 30NC easily meets the new epa std. I'm hoping they don't change a thing. There's something to be said for KISS.

The 30NC easily meets the new epa std. I'm hoping they don't change a thing. There's something to be said for KISS.

And if they had it tested for actual btu output with cord wood it would rock the Progress Hybrid's world. ;lol

Yeah, the older I get the more I like the KISS method.

Sounds like a challenge is in order. I doubt you would find much difference.

Sounds like a challenge is in order. I doubt you would find much difference.

The rock gonna lose every day of the week to a steel stove in btu per hour transfer into the living space. ;)

you're thinking is much too simple

Well being just a simple man... Light that thing some day and love it.

We seem to do stoves of the year around here. Was the Summit, then the Blaze Kings and now the Progress.

Heated with the Fireview for years, then got a progress hybrid. The difference in the firebox size is what? 20 or 30 %. The difference in heat output is more like 50% plus. The Progress Hybrid transfer an immense amount of heat to the room.

And I do think you notice the difference between 73 and 84 % efficiency. You use that much less wood.

When I put the same amount of wood in the PH that I put in the Fireview, I definitely get more heat.

Have never used an NC30, have no idea how it would heat my home. Know the PH does a great job.

Reactions: Huntindog1
Status
Not open for further replies.