hydraulic filter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

loon

Minister of Fire
Apr 9, 2010
ont canada
how often does everyone change them?

thanks eh!

loon

DSC08483.jpg

It really depends on how you use the splitter. If you have to add oil often, because of broken lines, leaks etc you will need to change more often. If you have a major part break such as valve cyl or pump you should change the filter after fixing as that is when you can push metal and such into the system. If you put in the wrong oil or mix types change it. Other wise once you have the oil clean and nothing contaminates the oil I wouldn't worry. The other thing is if you run with very low level and the oil gets HOT,(over 180*) put in new oil and change filter.
leaddog

thanks

did open the valve to change an o-ring but was careful not to contaminate it. its 3 years old and around 50 cord through it with no problems..

terry

I changed my hydro fluid filter at the 1st 50 hours of use as per the manual. Now I'm close to 80 hours use and oil looks very clean. The real issue I have is the 6.5 B&S engine which has no oil drain. Manual says "tip splitter" over to drain engine oil from fill cap. That ain't gonna happen ,I tried alone ,way too heavy. I tried hand syphons to no avail.

changed the engine oil the first year and used the tractor bucket with straps.. pain in the butt for sure :shut:
checked it out yesterday and looks fine, but will be doing it again this year...

50 hours is a good figure for the filter.

My manual says every 100 hours.

adrpga498 said:
I changed my hydro fluid filter at the 1st 50 hours of use as per the manual. Now I'm close to 80 hours use and oil looks very clean. The real issue I have is the 6.5 B&S engine which has no oil drain. Manual says "tip splitter" over to drain engine oil from fill cap. That ain't gonna happen ,I tried alone ,way too heavy. I tried hand syphons to no avail.

Cant tell which splitter you have but I have the Huskee 22 ton with the 6.5 B&S engine. The oil drain plug was real hard to locate but it does exist. I searched on this forum which led me to finding the plug.... which is located on the bottom side of the engine and you have to get at it from under the splitter frame. PITA but it is there.

Got Wood said:
adrpga498 said:

Cant tell which splitter you have but I have the Huskee 22 ton with the 6.5 B&S engine. The oil drain plug was real hard to locate but it does exist. I searched on this forum which led me to finding the plug.... which is located on the bottom side of the engine and you have to get at it from under the splitter frame. PITA but it is there.

ty, I'll do the Limbo and check it out

I change the engine oil about every 10 hrs of use (about twice a year). I change the hydro filter with the 10 micron NAPA 1259 every other year and oil can last 4 years, according to the amount I split, if not contaminated with dirt from busted hoses or such. I drain a small amount of hydro oil into a glass jar at the filter change to check color and it always looked clean as new but still changed when the 4th year was up.

adrpga498 said:
What splitter do you have.

My splitter is a 27 ton from Sears. H & V options looks lik e most of the MDT? splitters I've seen here.

There is a hole on the bottom engine plate that you put a 3/8 inch extension with ratchet wrench.The oil plug
excepts the extension,I use a 6 inch extension.

budman said:
There is a hole on the bottom engine plate that you put a 3/8 inch extension with ratchet wrench.The oil plug
excepts the extension,I use a 6 inch extension.

Wow, Thank you sooooooo much sir. What a weird design, your explanation was perfect. thanks again.

The Honda engine on the 28-ton Huskee calls for multi-viscosity (5W-30 or 10W-30) when operating below 50 deg F. I use synthetic 5W-30 for everything I own so I switched it over after the first two hours.

I would have preferred TSC sold it dry so I could add ATF instead of hydraulic fluid; the manual calls for ATF when temperatures are below 32 deg F. I like doing things when I want to do them and if I want to split wood when it is 20 degrees out I would like to do so without involving a maul! I'm not that interested in draining and refilling with ATF prematurely so I suppose my late fall/early spring splittings will be contingent on outside temperature.

Before you change the oil on that BS engine, stop at the hardware store and pick up some pipe. I made an extention my first oil change and it has worked excellent. Oil changes are very easy. Here is a pic where you can see it.

p237817884-4.png

Status
Not open for further replies.