Hydraulic Fluid: When is it too dirty?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HeatsTwice

Minister of Fire
Jan 7, 2008
Santa Rosa, California
When it looks like this?

Attachments

• DirtyHydFluid.compressed.jpg
    DirtyHydFluid.compressed.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 306
Simple
When it "is dirty"
Compare it to new. If it looks dirty, it is.
Not that it won't work, but the pump has tight tolerances that have to be tight to put out pressure.
Dirt wears on those tolerances. Plus when cold it will be thicker & cause more work for the engine & pump.

Thanks that was my feeling also but I always defer such prognoses to the members of this group.

Now, after I drain and replace the filter, whats the best way to get the remaining crud out of the reservoir?

Is there a safe, inexpensive "washing agent" I could run through it or should I not bother.

HeatsTwice said:
Thanks that was my feeling also but I always defer such prognoses to the members of this group.

Now, after I drain and replace the filter, whats the best way to get the remaining crud out of the reservoir?

Is there a safe, inexpensive "washing agent" I could run through it or should I not bother.

Diesel fuel (well it used to be cheap any way)
enough lubricating properties to run for short periods & then pull the hoses & drain ram & pump.
------
That's if you want to . You will get 99% of the old stuff out
by draining the hoses, pump & ram when warm, without running diesel thru it.

Brilliant. I had never hear of this before. Thanks.

With a complete drain and new filter, I am not sure that a diesel wash out is needed. You just got rid of the biggest part.

And the above answer was perfect:
Q: "How do I know when its dirty"
A: When it looks dirty.

How old is the oil in the pics?
I've seen tractors with 1000 hrs on the hyd oil.
Granted most tractors have coolers but not all do.
Some hydraulic oil looks like that when new.
Some is purple, I have seen green, even saw perfectly clear once.
If its not had water introduced we go by age.
Put your new oil in a small container like you used for the old oil and compare the 2.
Not sayin to not change it, just compare it for your own satifaction and post pics of your comparison.

To change it, warm the oil up by running and then drain while still warm, filter too. Cylinder will have around a gallon in it to.
If you run diesel through it you will need to drain cylinder and hoses afterward also.

Status
Not open for further replies.