i absolutely hate the people who designed the harmon stove....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tundraSQ

Oct 7, 2006
or more specifically the person who thought that the hole that you must thread the ignitor leads thru to the back of the stove should be smaller than the sum of the 2 fat ends they crimp on. I bet it was the same person who cut the leads on the stove just short enough so they cant be pulled thru to the front of the stove making this 5 minute job take 2 hours.....*grrrrrrr*

Ahem…

Sorry to say, but it is a 5 minute job and the leads do come out the front of the stove. You have to remove the plastic plug from the rear, cut a few zip ties to get you the length you need to get to the front and them pull. Make you connections, then pull the lengths back, secure the plug with RTV and then zip tie youe wire back together.

Now you know.

Yes, but in order to do that i would need to fly around the earth at high speed to turn back time....

i mean...yes it seems thats the way to do it....the cabling on the ignitor is also too short to allow any to re crimp on ends after i cut them.

fml!!!

got it...finally.

while i am back there and i have my XXV pulled into the middle of the room...anything i should "maintain"?

I have cleaned the back out vacuumed and air blasted everything sparkly clean...i will lube the chain...

all the connections seem solid and nothing seems out of sorts....

but should i be attending to anything not obvious?

I removed the plenum cover behind the chain and cleaned that out....

tundraSQ said:
....the cabling on the ignitor is also too short to allow any to re crimp on ends after i cut them.

fml!!!

I changed mine on my XXV a year ago....I don't remember cutting any wires. Certainly is not a 5 minute job, but it was not bad...maybe 30 mins when all said and done.

amick780 said:
tundraSQ said:
....the cabling on the ignitor is also too short to allow any to re crimp on ends after i cut them.

fml!!!

I changed mine on my XXV a year ago....I don't remember cutting any wires. Certainly is not a 5 minute job, but it was not bad...maybe 30 mins when all said and done.

no need to cut the wires...i was a frustrated idiot.

i think the biggest thing is that folks "check in on the hearth" to learn from the pro's like Scott before you get frustrated.

as always i gotta thank craig (web) for letting us "play in his yard"
kudo's to Scott also for the assist

Jim H. said:
curious about lubing the chain....? I would think that would cause ash and dust to stick to it?

i thought about that too and did not lube the chain......now if the temp would drop 40 degrees i could see if all my hard work paid off.

I cleaned the ESP and i also pulled the squirrel cage (combustion motor) out and ran a wire brush all over that...and vacuumed and blew out everything i could see or reach.

I even did the leaf blower trick after and got nothing...:)

I fired it up just now and its running great. I do smell a little smoke ...and i will investigate that if it doesn't go away.

tundraSQ said:
Jim H. said:
curious about lubing the chain....? I would think that would cause ash and dust to stick to it?

now if the temp would drop 40 degrees i could see if all my hard work paid off.

Not too soon on that request please !!!! Although I am ready for the heating season, for now, I am perfectly happy with the memories of my stove firing high and hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.