i am a believer...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

par0thead151

Feeling the Heat
Jul 26, 2009
south eastern wisconsin
that craigslist is a great source of wood!
and i do not have to deal with the brush, leaves and other undesirables.
in the past week i have gotten 2 full loads(pictured below) and this weekend i will be getting another 1-2 loads of oak.

the first photo is split, and 4 year seasoned oak, the second is a ash tree that was blown over recently.
do i have any worries about the beetle being in this tree if it was blown over in September of last year?
photo2-1.jpg

photo-4.jpg

Nice Rig. My next truck will be a Duramax or a Cummins.. Ash could have the beetle. But I wouldnt worry about it. Burned some the last 2 winters that had the burrowed holes going through the splits. Looks like some may have some Rot. But looks good. I have gotten 6 loads off of Craiglist now. Starting to get picky. Just got a Good Ash Contact today. Will see some in my near future. C/S/S it ASAP... Ash dries quick.

par0thead151 said:
in the past week i have gotten 2 full loads(pictured below) and this weekend i will be getting another 1-2 loads of oak.

the first photo is split, and 4 year seasoned oak, the second is a ash tree that was blown over recently.
do i have any worries about the beetle being in this tree if it was blown over in September of last year?
photo2-1.jpg

photo-4.jpg

par0thead151, I'm not sure on the EAB but nice scrounge.

Zap

Be careful with the back window when you have a big load like that. I had a split move and it pushed another to the glass. Just touched the glass and instantly it was in a million pieces. i cried over that. Than it rained that night and soaked the inside of the truck I know I'm just saving a ton of money by messing with all this wood. David

Captain Hornet said:
Be careful with the back window when you have a big load like that. I had a split move and it pushed another to the glass. Just touched the glass and instantly it was in a million pieces. i cried over that. Than it rained that night and soaked the inside of the truck I know I'm just saving a ton of money by messing with all this wood. David

funny you mentioned that. i was almost too aggressive with a toss and put one of them through the window...
i now toss it on there, and climb on top and slowly move it into position.

Nice rig. Do you have helper springs in there? Doesn't seem like much sag for that size load.

trailmaker said:
Nice rig. Do you have helper springs in there? Doesn't seem like much sag for that size load.

its bone stock.
2500 HD.
its noticeably lower riding than it is when empty, obviously....
but im glad it looks like its not that loaded down. i was concerned when i noticed how far down it was riding compared to a empty load.

Nice! If you're going to be doing a lot wood hauling you should consider a headache rack. I put one on my Tacoma for a little piece of mind.
IMG_1468.jpg

IMG_1466.jpg

ParOt, that Ash looks delicious! Great score. :)
I'm going to tear into some dead/standing White Ash I have here fairly soon...possibly tomorrow if everything goes as planned.
I like the fact that it's less susceptible to punk on the outer layer, like Black/Red Oak is.

Captain Hornet said:

Piece of 3/4 plywood covering it it works for short hauls,you normally use just your side mirrors anyway.

You won't know if the EAB is present until you start splitting. Both EAB and carpenter ants were in my recent Ash scrounge.

Good scrounges...CL can be good at times, but for every 1 actual score I seem to find a dozen that are spammers.

For protecting the back window, you can just stand a pallet up in the bed too.

trailmaker said:

Nah, it's a GM truck. :)

People have often asked about my truck having helper springs, that's what I tell them. GM truck just don't seem to squat as much as Ford's... IMHO

par0thead151 said:

Nice haul of wood! Those finds are hard to come by.

On the ash, I would not be concerned about the beetle just based on the looks of the bark. Usually shortly after the beetle hits, the barks sort of starts to fleck off a bit. But the real telltale sign is to look for D shaped holes. These usually occur about 2-3' above the ground and sometimes further up. Once you see any of those holes you know for certain they are in there. It still makes excellent firewood.

I ususally find 2-3 good scores off craigslist every summer. Just hooked up on one last night, 28" diameter x 40' ash trunk laying in someone's back yard. the brush is gone, just the trunk and some of the larger branches. I can back the truck right up to it, doesn't get a whole lot easier than that- bucked at the curb would be better but beggars can't be choosers ;-)

I'm also working a several acre lot that is only a mile from home. I can clear out everything if I want and have a good year or more to do it, This was also indirectly scored through craigslist.

Last summer it was several good sized ash trees, same deal, on the ground, partially cut up in a back yard.

Summer before a nice sized honey locust. With out looking too hard my wood supply far exceeds my needs so far, guess I'll try selling some this fall.

Tim, it sounds like you've found a great spot for wood.

Backwoods Savage said:
Tim, it sounds like you've found a great spot for wood.

Yea, the cool part is that lot, I can spend a couple hours a day right after work and get my fill of firewooding and exercise too.
Don't have to kill myself trying to get it cleaned up right away. Also good felling practice, honing my ability to drop them where I want, use of wedges,
not creating hang ups, etc..

Woody Stover said:
ParOt, that Ash looks delicious! Great score. :)
I'm going to tear into some dead/standing White Ash I have here fairly soon...possibly tomorrow if everything goes as planned.
I like the fact that it's less susceptible to punk on the outer layer, like Black/Red Oak is.

the best part is, it splits very easy by hand.
this is going to be stored behind my work, in a less "secure" area than where i have my main stash of wood. so i am worried that pieces or all of it may walk off one night, as it is in a vacant lot at the end of a street. very low traffic and lots of people with stoves/fireplaces near by.
i am probably just being overly paranoid though, but i sleep better knowing most of my wood is in the middle of nowhere, safe and sound....

Rcrozier said:
You won't know if the EAB is present until you start splitting. Both EAB and carpenter ants were in my recent Ash scrounge.

this one has carpenter ants for sure.
i found their nest and sacrificed that chunk to the fire gods immediately.
that said, is there any concern to having the ants in my wood and putting it by my pile?
i was under the impression that the ants go after living wood only.

3fordasho said:
I ususally find 2-3 good scores off craigslist every summer. Just hooked up on one last night, 28" diameter x 40' ash trunk laying in someone's back yard. the brush is gone, just the trunk and some of the larger branches. I can back the truck right up to it, doesn't get a whole lot easier than that- bucked at the curb would be better but beggars can't be choosers ;-)

I'm also working a several acre lot that is only a mile from home. I can clear out everything if I want and have a good year or more to do it, This was also indirectly scored through craigslist.

Last summer it was several good sized ash trees, same deal, on the ground, partially cut up in a back yard.

Summer before a nice sized honey locust. With out looking too hard my wood supply far exceeds my needs so far, guess I'll try selling some this fall.

i live in a yuppie area with few wood burners, so i get the lions share of wood in my immediate area.
where i work though, there are plenty of burners, and getting free wood is very competitive.

Many times when you find the carpenter ants if you split that piece right there in the woods, they will leave fast and you can bring the wood home. Once they are exposed, they don't like it and it is amazing how fast they can be. But I would not knowingly bring anything with ants up by the house. Probably many remember my story though about the time I had the wild turkey clean up the ants. It was winter and I split a couple logs that were loaded with ants. I took some of the wife's bird seed and drew a path right to the wood. The following day the turkeys came through and quickly found the bird seed. They also quickly found the ants and cleaned them up fast! Worked like a charm.....but then for a few days I had to chase turkeys away else they would keep coming back for more and they tend to leave a real mess.

That's good advice Dennis if your backyard is the woods. Us suburban scroungers don't have that luxury. On a 1/4 acre lot suburban lot, I'm forced to deal with the bugs that emerge from splits. While we're on the suubject, what do you suggest in combating carpenter ants?

It is hard to kill those things but if you are fast enough to spray them with Raid ant spray it will kill them. You just have to use more of it than with the smaller ants.

Backwoods Savage said:
It is hard to kill those things but if you are fast enough to spray them with Raid ant spray it will kill them. You just have to use more of it than with the smaller ants.

i was using starting fluid last night on the log i found that had a massive hole/colony in it.
it seemed to work well.
does soap and water kill them? i know it works on wasps and such.

Soapy water works on some ants but not too well on those buggers. They can be tough. Boiling water would work nice but takes too much time. Sometimes you just use whatever is handy. I once used some hornet spray but don't for the life of me remember if it worked. I think it did and was the foamy type.

Status
Not open for further replies.