I am freezing.......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

certified106

Minister of Fire
Oct 22, 2010
Athens, Ohio
I am visiting my cousins who live in Baltimore Maryland and they keep their house a balmy 64 degrees and set back to 58 at night..............1800 sq foot house and they said their heating bills can be upwards of $450 per month. My wife and I have been cold since we got here since our house usually hovers around 74-76 degrees all winter. My wife hasn't taken her coat off yet lol

I hear ya, when we went to my parents on xmas eve, I froze my butt off. I think they had the thermostat set to about 63! They turned it up to 65 when we were there... yeah, those 2 degrees made all the difference... :smirk:
We could not wait to get back to our toasty warm house.

You guys better take long johns next time! :lol:

Ah, one of the drawbacks of heating with wood . . . we are always so much warmer than everyone else who has to pinch the pennies just to stay lukewarm . . . while other folks are bundled up and buried under blankets while reading or watching TV we're stripping down to our underwear . . .

My wife and I always feel like we're freezing to death when we visit my brother-in-law in CT with his tempermental hot air furnace.

firefighterjake said:
Ah, one of the drawbacks of heating with wood . . . we are always so much warmer than everyone else who has to pinch the pennies just to stay lukewarm . . . while other folks are bundled up and buried under blankets while reading or watching TV we're stripping down to our underwear . . .

My wife and I always feel like we're freezing to death when we visit my brother-in-law in CT with his tempermental hot air furnace.

LOL I hear you guys!!! Its our first year heating with wood. For the first five years of our marriage all I heard my wife say was its cold in here. We heated with Propane n kept thermostat down and used electric space heaters to make up. Now all she does is complain its freakin hot in here!!! I love it!. Got a little chill? Crank the thermostat! I grew up on wood heat and missed it horribly when I moved out 12 years ago and started pinching to pay the Propane guy. Called them Fri n told them not to come till summer or untill they hear from me!!!

There is nothing nicer in winter than your house being 73 degrees and the stove is almost silent ( no loud oil boiler)!

I can relate to that certified. Not only those who burn oil or gas but also some who heat with wood!!! Yes, I know of 4 homes that are heated with wood and if we go for a visit, we put long johns on before leaving home in order to not freeze. I also wear heavy boots. Now this just seems crazy when one heats with wood. It is also curious that 3 of those homes are heated with OWB and the other is heated with a wood furnace.

Good point, Savage. I know of a house where there's a decent wood stove (Castine), two stories, 20x28, with a basement under it. There's a forced-air oil furnace in the basement. If we go over there in the winter, we huddle around the wood stove. Place is not insulated or sealed well, and has no OAK. I don't have one, either, but I think there are some houses that need them.

Just returned from my parents home and just the opposite. Had to open the bedroom window it was so warm in there. I can only imagine what their natural gas bill runs in the winter, house is always 78+!!

We are mostly under insulation code in our house. I find it funny how some of my family or neighbors can live on the cool side. I want HEAT! I'm sure the over all temp will equalize once we get up to code and install windows and doors.

Freezin here too. Hit 52 today so I let the stove burn out.. the gas boiler is set to 68F and that feels cooooold after 5 straight days of it being 72-73 in here. Amazing what a difference a few degrees can make at times.

But it could be worse... My poor dads 30 year old Resolute has a broken damper and is basically out of commission. They have oil and have that at something like 62 day/ 55 night. Ouch. I keep trying to convince him to just go buy an Englander (he works at HD so can get a deal I imagine) but he tells me its too much. I tell him its that or keep paying the oil man!

Hm. My problem is how NOT to heat the dining/kitchen area to high 80s and mid 90s with three sticks of wood in the Englander 30.

I love this problem.

Nancy

Status
Not open for further replies.