I am NEVER splitting Cherry again .....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shawneyboy

Minister of Fire
Oct 5, 2010
NE PA
It takes WAYYYYYY to long to get it spit when you do it like I do, smelling almost every freaking split !!!!

Shawn

Yup Shawn you got the problem. I guess we'll start seeing you at our monthly support group sessions. I've been in therapy for sometime over my firewood sickness addtiction. And the solution? More wood!

Our local 'wood hobby' illness support group recently disbanded. Couldn't figure out why until I discovered all the members were back out in the woods cutting -- what with the temperatures back out of the humid 90's. So with the saws in the truck, here I go.....

Shawn, whatever you do, don't start huffing White Oak. If you get on that slippery slope, you'll soon be resorting to murder to feed your addiction (cutting live trees.)

maxed_out said:
I've been in therapy for sometime
Aroma therapy?

Woody Stover said:
Shawn, whatever you do, don't start huffing White Oak. If you get on that slippery slope, you'll soon be resorting to murder to feed your addiction (cutting live trees.)

maxed_out said:
I've been in therapy for sometime
Aroma therapy?

I am a multi sniffer, I also have a problem with Black Birch !!!

Someone, anyone, save me !!!

Shawn

shawneyboy said:
I also have a problem with Black Birch !!!
Please don't inform me of new stuff to try. Last time that happened I was in the woods for a week licking every toad I could find!

The Black Walnut is great too, and you don't have to get your nose right into the grain to enjoy it! Glad to hear I am not the only one getting slowed down with the cherry either.

for some reason, if I have enough freshly split, it smells even stronger after it rains (cherry). My whole yard smells like cherry. Awesome!

Woody Stover said:
shawneyboy said:
I also have a problem with Black Birch !!!
Please don't inform me of new stuff to try. Last time that happened I was in the woods for a week licking every toad I could find!

Guess I shouldn't tell you about sugar maple, then.

and then is sassafrass, i know it is Dennis's favorite. The roots are what they used to make root beer out of and sassafrass tea.

See I like the smell of Red Elm, Black Licorise (sp?)

Ya know, I'm not one to judge. If you like the smell of someone else's wood, more power to you. :red:

CTYank said:
Guess I shouldn't tell you about sugar maple, then.
I've got a bunch of rounds that I'm going to split soon; Pignut Hickory, which I know smells great and Sugar Maple, which I'll soon be finding out about.

So I guess Im not the only one that likes to wander through my piles sniffing the freshly split wood :lol:

My wife caught me 'sniffing' wood in late March, she thought I had a problem (maybe I do). I had 2 nice cherrys last year, the splitting sucked but the sniffing didn't :)

shawneyboy said:
It takes WAYYYYYY to long to get it spit when you do it like I do, smelling almost every freaking split !!!!

Shawn

Wait until you burn so much that you think all your wood smells like Cherry. We burn over three cord per year.

zap

thats funny, cherry and walnut are the two that always trigger memories of milling and working it into furniture. i honestly have a guilty feeling when i run across some of the finer woods and process it into firewood. i guess it all cant be turned into furniture and i have to keep warm.

My Oslo heats my home said:
My wife caught me 'sniffing' wood in late March, she thought I had a problem (maybe I do). I had 2 nice cherrys last year, the splitting sucked but the sniffing didn't :)

My wife and my neighbor already think I am crazy with all the wood I have out back, if they saw (caught) me smellng my splits I am sure the men in the white coats would be called.

Shawn

The wood coming from my primary source (golf course I work for) is mostly cherry and crab apple. I have piles of splits there waiting for me to haul 'em home. The smell is unreal. My wife keeps calling wondering why I haven't come home yet. :p

GolfandWoodNut said:
and then is sassafrass, i know it is Dennis's favorite. The roots are what they used to make root beer out of and sassafrass tea.

Hey Golf, I was going to suggest to shawneyboy that he sniff 2 splits of sassafras and if he isn't better in the morning to call me.

chvymn99 said:
See I like the smell of Red Elm, Black Licorise (sp?)

You got it.With a slight cinnamon scent also.Great stuff to burn & build certain smaller projects out of.Getting scarce around here now,pretty much all the large older ones were hit bad by Dutch Elm Disease in the late '70's - early '80's.Then about 10 yrs ago I started seeing quite a few that survived were beginning to die off.

I hear lots of talk about smells that conjure up "pleasant memories".
What about the smell from American Elm, and the nasty memories
that come to mind from splitting that!!!

Sorry for raining on everybody's parade.......

My wife always seems to catch me when I'm sniffing my cherry and apple . . . never fails that she chooses the one moment to pop outside when I'm taking in a deep whiff of that fragrant smell of that wood.

Maybe we should start a list of wood we wish we couldn't smell... I'll add to Rob's mention of american elm:

cottonwood
box elder

Rob From Wisconsin said:
I hear lots of talk about smells that conjure up "pleasant memories".
What about the smell from American Elm, and the nasty memories
that come to mind from splitting that!!!

Sorry for raining on everybody's parade.......

Status
Not open for further replies.