I am now officially working on "Next Year's Wood"!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lowroadacres

Minister of Fire
Aug 18, 2009
MB
I got the call on my cell late last week and it was almost like Christmas. My tree service friend had me in mind when he bid on a project to take down 4 large Ash trees, each with four co-dominant trunks. I went this morning to load up the half-ton with a load and he informed me that he would be delivering the rest to my yard. The attached photo is what he delivered and I am low balling it at just under 2 cords. I have almost a half cord on my dad-in-law's truck. This officially puts me well over the top and into next year's wood.

Of course I still need to c/s/s this wood but it is clean and it is straight and best of all.... It is on my yard.

What it does is put me back on track for my cord a week average that I am aiming for between now and the snow making it too hard to hit the bush..

Attachments

• Tree Service Ash.jpg
    Tree Service Ash.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 461
Easy Nice Score!

Yes sir thats a good friend to have

Case of beer or bottle is in order for that. Very Nice!!

Great score, that will keep you busy for a while.

zap

Very nice, with delivery too!

Yes, there will be a little something going my friends way.... I now need to sort through the pile he dropped off as there are some stove length blocks in the mix and the usual assorted lengths that come with tree service work.

I will need to get a new chain now for sure as the one on the Husqvarna currently is getting "short" in the tooth ;)

That is mighty fine indeed! Get the new chain and go to work! Maybe you could hold off just a little until this terrible humid and hot air gets sent down south where it belongs. lol

Geez thats an awesome haul, a scrounge delivery, cant beat that :-O

I feel that joy. When I got over the hump, and started cutting the next year's wood this year, I was thrilled, too.
It's a pleasure to walk around the completed pile and admire it!
Happy burning.

Today as I finished unloading the half ton I was able to get a better look at the pile of wood and I can hardly wait to get splitting and stacking it.... When it cools off a bit.

Now that I am working on next year I am not going to panic as I have plenty of other projects that need my time and energy.

The deck, finishing the basement, some work projects that have been put off, archery whitetail season opens in less than three weeks :)

Lots to do I just have to get at it all and do a bit each day.

Kind of like cutting firewood I guess.

lowroadacres said:
Now that I am working on next year I am not going to panic as I have plenty of other projects that need my time and energy.

I suppose you guys that have graduated to the level of having free wood delivered can afford to be more complacent.

It has been just the right temperature to go out first thing in the morning before work to cut one tank of fuel worth of wood.

The piles in the NW corner of my yard are almost all blocked up. I figure by Friday I will have everything that is down on the yard in stove length ready for a marathon "fueled by food-kept moving with caffeine and motrin" splitting session.

Then I can get at the relatively relaxed pace again of gathering quarter cord loads of standing and downed dead ash.

Keep right at it lowroadacres. It is getting pretty cool nights now and some days aren't that hot either. Dang, it feels great to me!

It is funny, it seems like it is taking forever to cool down right now.

Fall is my favorite time of the year but this year with our wood heat drought ending I am looking forward to the first fire of the season.

I keep asking my bride if it is cool enough to light up the Drolet but so far the passive solar element of our home's window layout has been keeping us plenty warm.

This is only about the third time in over 30 year of wood heat history in my life where I am more than prepared for the winter season with all the wood I need and extra cut, split and stacked. I remember as a kid, going to the bush and cutting standing dead poplar in low lying areas and bringing the icy blocks of wood right to the basement entrance, splitting them there and straight into the stove.

Sad thing is... I have done the same thing as an adult, especially in our old Olsen CWE furnace. No wonder I only got a two hour burn time in the coldest months. If I knew then what I know now I could have saved myself so much grief.

I sometimes think that woodstove shops should be offering workshops on "How to heat with wood". If a guy had a good supply of wood for sale I think there would be a market for that sort of advice on a local level.... Or I could just tell everyone about hearth.com ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.