I believe in pine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ckarotka

Minister of Fire
Sep 21, 2009
Northwest PA on the lake
My first fire with pine and I'm hooked! I have no complaints. I managed to get 3hrs between loads tonight in a 0.9 ³ ft fire box so I'm happy. 40 °F outside and too warm in the stove room to be honest. In the hearth mount she really throws some heat. She creeps up to around 500-550 and then down.

I might go looking for pine for this stove in the future because it will be easy to score, nobody wants it here in PA.

Pine is fine my friend. As I get older I think about letting people dump that "junk" here to get rid of it. :lol:

Burning some kiln dried 2x4s as I type.

The local truss manufacture is tickled when we get scrap wood from his dumpsters. Less he has to pay to have the stuff hauled off!

Pine is good doo doo! :cheese:

If it's dry - burn it.
I've got softwood making up about 1/3 of my winters wood: poplar, pine and fir.
I usually mix it with my hardwood (maple) but don't mind a load of softwood on its own.
Happy burning!

I've been burning a good amount this shoulder season. I save the ash for the overnight burns. For the evening fires...pine. I think even during the regular season, I may toss a few pine splits in and save the hardwood for overnights.

Like mentioned, it does burn quickly, and doesn't leave behind a lot of coals.

I started a thread about pine. And even tho most on the east coast don't like it we all ten to burn a litle each season. I have 2 cords on hand and some rounds waiting for spring to split. I like it for the shoulder season

Pine will burn your house down. You will have tons of creosote. Better your house than mine!! Hope you live close to the fire department and check your smoke detectors!!

Burning pine. Pshaw!

Come on, man, no need to tell the whole east coast that pine burns well. I'll lose out on free wood!

Pine is also responsible for global warming and el niño But free wood is free wood. An it's well seasoned. Ohh yea. I have 100% replacement on my homeowners. I could use some upgrades.

For me . . . pine is fine.

Been burning a bunch of it this Fall.

Mike PA said:
Pine will burn your house down. You will have tons of creosote. Better your house than mine!! Hope you live close to the fire department and check your smoke detectors!!

Burning pine. Pshaw!
Come on, man, no need to tell the whole east coast that pine burns well. I'll lose out on free wood!

The funny part is I've had this discussion with my wifes Uncle who I would say is a pretty sharp guy and he said those exact words. My response that I learned here was: "what do they burn in Alaska? Where there is nothing else to burn?" He still didn't believe me and thinks I'm nuts. After the proper education I have no concerns, it measures out at 17-20% is light as a feather and sounds like a 2x4 when smacked together.

I could put up a billboard about how safe is it to burn pine around here and people would bring me theirs for free!! That gives me an idea. I could put an add on CL and people would PAY me to get rid of it.

I actually threw 2 pine splits in. Warm it up a bit in here

ckarotka said:
The funny part is I've had this discussion with my wifes Uncle who I would say is a pretty sharp guy and he said those exact words. My response that I learned here was: "what do they burn in Alaska? Where there is nothing else to burn?" He still didn't believe me and thinks I'm nuts. After the proper education I have no concerns, it measures out at 17-20% is light as a feather and sounds like a 2x4 when smacked together.

I could put up a billboard about how safe is it to burn pine around here and people would bring me theirs for free!! That gives me an idea. I could put an add on CL and people would PAY me to get rid of it.

I've heard that all my life. I've even repeated it on a few occassions, but I learned a few years back. Now, I like to burn pine. It lights easy and gives quick heat. I keep pine in the house all winter just to start quick fires after work. Works great for that.

Occo370 said:
Pine is also responsible for global warming and el niño But free wood is free wood. An it's well seasoned. Ohh yea. I have 100% replacement on my homeowners. I could use some upgrades.

Don't forget that it also causes impotence and hairy palms.

So does two kids

I believe in pine too,,,,,,,,,, in fact I believe in my pine so much I filled my woodshed with it,,,,,,,,, well almost ,,,,,,,,,,,,, there's a little bit of walnut in there,,,,, and a bit of douglas fir,,,, oh and I think I still have a few splits of spruce in there at the back somewhere,,,,,, but mostly pine,,,,,,,,,,, not that Eastern white pine though,,,,,,,,, the stuff I got will give me more than 3 hours of burn time,,,,,,,,, in fact I can go about 8 hours before before reloading,,,,,,,,,,, no match nesessary,,,,,,,,,,,,,, not out in the garage stove though,,,,,,,,,, got an older smoke dragon in there,,,,,,,,, I doubt even oak would give me a good overnight burn in that ole stove,,,,,,,,,, still it sure warms the place up when I want to work out there,,,,,,,,,,, too hot really,,,,,,,,,,,,I have to open the big garage door sometimes,,,,,,,, stop me if I'm rambling,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,, .... .. . Did I mention I like pine? ;-)
woopileOct122010.JPG

We don't have any Pine where I cut so I have very limited experience.

There were a couple rounds of pine that the previous owner left in the woodshed. I think I'm sandbagging a little by saying they had been in there 10 years...probably closer to 20.

I burned them out in the firepit the other night. I think they ignited before hitting the coals.

Occo370 said:
So does two kids
Ugh...... You don't have to tell me........... ;-P

Carbon_Liberator said:
I believe in pine too,,,,,,,,,, in fact I believe in my pine so much I filled my woodshed with it

That is one serious stash of wood, I mean, pine! :)

Burning Pine in Pa will make your dog drag its butt across your carpet. With all the Pa hardwoods there is no reason to burn Pine.

I live next to a pine forest, so I'm going to end up with lots of the stuff. I'm sure I'll develop a fondness for it eventually, but you'll never convince me it's better than oak or mesquite. =P

~Rose

Status
Not open for further replies.