I came home to this last night

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blacktail

Minister of Fire
Sep 18, 2011
Western WA
My dad's into a good score of wood and going to town on it. I cut with him on one of my days off this week and will be going again in a few days. For a retired guy, he's working a lot. He's up cutting again today for the 4th time this week. I think he's short on storage space at his place and dumping it off at my place now. The stuff already in the racks is what I cut on Tuesday.
P1040002.jpg

I started splitting and stacking this morning and got about a third of it done. I expect him to drop off more while I'm at work today.
P1040004.gif

My usual storage spots are full from what we cut Tuesday so I'm stacking in new places on my property. I'm trying the idea I got on this site about making crossed stacks at the ends to hold the whole thing up. Not sure if it's usually done with just rows just one deep but I'll find out.
P1040007.jpg

I estimate we're getting 75% maple with doug fir, alder, and hemlock making up the rest. Hard to pass it up.

Good for you and good for your dad staying busy. Those are great pictures.

Nothing like wood "just showing up", though it's never happened to me. FWIW, when I stack my ends like that to hold up a pile, I try and tie some of the pile pieces into the vertical stacks on the ends....as opposed to the ends be completely free standing. No idea what others do. Looks like your end pieces are quite rectangular...maybe that stack better than mine...just a thought if you find they tip over....

Nice job! . Nice Dad!

You & your Dad need to have a talk! ;)
I'd say "Dad, you keep using m yard to dump off your excess wood.
You keep cutting & cutting more & more wood.
I find it out by the wood shed all the time.
I don't know how to say this, so here it is.
"I LOVE YOU MAN" (Accompanied with a great big Hug) :)

few monsters there.
Nice job stacking, ;)

Way to go for the both of you. Looks like a ton of incoming wood. We have 6 single-file self standing rows with cross-stacked ends like yours. Been there a couple years. Hint: the pile is a bit more stable if the ends tilt inward a bit toward the top.

blacktail said:
My dad's into a good score of wood and going to town on it. I cut with him on one of my days off this week and will be going again in a few days. For a retired guy, he's working a lot. He's up cutting again today for the 4th time this week. I think he's short on storage space at his place and dumping it off at my place now. The stuff already in the racks is what I cut on Tuesday.

I started splitting and stacking this morning and got about a third of it done. I expect him to drop off more while I'm at work today.

My usual storage spots are full from what we cut Tuesday so I'm stacking in new places on my property. I'm trying the idea I got on this site about making crossed stacks at the ends to hold the whole thing up. Not sure if it's usually done with just rows just one deep but I'll find out.

I estimate we're getting 75% maple with doug fir, alder, and hemlock making up the rest. Hard to pass it up.

Congratulations blacktail! That is fantastic and I'll bet your dad is having a ball doing this! If you can get 2-3 years ahead with the wood you will be one very happy fella.

On the cross stacking, it can be very strong if built right. On the third picture, you can't tell for certain but it does appear the left end is perhaps leaning out and that will only continue to move outward and cause you some re-stacking effort. On the right hand side which we have a better view of, look at the second tier. Notice that the way it is stacked, it is low on the outside. If low, make it on the inside rather than the outside. Then look at the top tier (not that single split) and the 3rd one down. Notice how they were built and then notice how little contact the next row has. That too will make it a bit unstable. You can get away with some of that, especially towards the top but be aware of it when you build your ends. Here is a picture of some of our ends:

This wood was stacked for 7 years before being burned. No, it never fell over.
Woodcovered.jpg

Here is a one that was stacked rather poorly. Yet, it was stacked in 2009 and some of that is now being burned. No, nothing fell over.
Ends-2.jpg

bpirger said:
Nothing like wood "just showing up", though it's never happened to me. FWIW, when I stack my ends like that to hold up a pile, I try and tie some of the pile pieces into the vertical stacks on the ends....as opposed to the ends be completely free standing. No idea what others do. Looks like your end pieces are quite rectangular...maybe that stack better than mine...just a thought if you find they tip over....

Nice job! . Nice Dad!

Hey, that's my trick, too! :)

Thanks for the stacking tips. It was too late when I thought of it, but I had the idea to take some small splits and drop them down vertically in the middle of the stacks to sort of link each layer together. If these stacks fail I'll have a little better tactics when I rebuild.
All this wood is great, but I plan to have a few large trees taken down on my property this spring so I'll need room for that wood too.
And my dad's hogging the fun part. He's doing all the cutting and leaving the splitting and stacking to me. It's just like when I was a kid!

Status
Not open for further replies.