I can't keep up with Zap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
Well, I did haul some wood today but just from the stack to the new shed. But I can't keep up with Zap on the moving of the wood, but I can stack the ends better. lol

Haulingwood-1.gif

Just put this shed up this week. Now I will fill it. Some wood and the rest tools. Even room for the car because we intend on finishing off where the carport is and making that into a living room next spring.

Newbarn-2.gif

Love the new shed and the setup, Sav I can't keep up with you or Quads (should we put cowboy billy in the group?) nice pictures.

zap

Not Billy. He cheats with all the equipment he has. lol You are doing just fine Zap. Just keep on cutting.

No rebuild Dave. You did just fine and have a very nice looking shed. Yours probably did not cost as much as ours either.

Nice looking shed Dennis. How much wood you figure on stacking in there?

Backwoods Savage said:
Not Billy. He cheats with all the equipment he has. lol You are doing just fine Zap. Just keep on cutting.

Sav are those oak trees over the new shed.

zap

We'll probably stack only enough for a winter's use; 3 cords. If we end up with extra room then maybe a bit more but I doubt it.

Zap, indeed you spotted a nice red oak. That is a group from the same stump. Well, actually there is a whole bunch of them in the picture. They all happen to be owned by someone else though. We are right on the line and our property runs 1/4 mile south from the line. You should hear the noise when the acorns fall. My wife is not going to be happy come next fall. lol Fortunately most of them are already down for this year thanks to all the wind we've had in the past month.

I notice the length of the limbs, looks like they need a trim before they go through the house.

zap

As with red oak, those limbs are constantly falling. Never had a big one break though. Several have fell on the carport but none on the house. We do keep our eye on all those trees though; cut as needed.

Looks great Dennis!

rdust said:
Looks great Dennis!

Thanks rdust. That wood you got last year sat right in the way of this thing. I think I told you about some additions we intended to make. Well, it has started, but now will wait until spring before furthering the plans.

Nice shed Dennis, your going to love going in there on those wet winter days to pick some nice dry wood and no messin with tarps or metal roofing.

That part will be nice Todd as you have already found out. It has been a long, long time; many, many moons ago since I've stored wood in a shed.

Looks good. love the quad setup you have. i to am really looking forward to the shed being built i just cant wait to come home from work on a snowy day and not have to shove snow off the stupid tarp and pull the tarp off when its raining and it having holes in it and wood gettin all wet.

Wow Dennis!

Nice shed and man do I dig your new trailer......very nice my friend! :lol:

Cheers,Hiram

Looks great, Dennis. Man, do I wish I lived in the country. My neighbor across the street and down a few houses is getting all bent out of shape on the amount of wood wood in my back yard (it's only 16 cords and 2 more in the driveway.) I'm about ready to tell her to stop spying what's going on in my backyard. I've never looked to see what she is doing in hers.

Dennis, did you make the shed or is that one of those carolina carports? I just leveled a piece of ground and trying to decide if I should build a pole barn or use carolina carports for a mexican built metal one. I just bought a cheap car port from harbor freight metal poles and tarp. I doubt it will hold up but it is impressive how inexpensively you can get one of those things and it is huge and easy to build. As long as it does not fly away, the tarp should be easy to replace if needed. On sale I think I paid $145 for a 20 X 12 shed.

Well that's one of the nicest trailers I've seen in quite awhile...good wide tires and take down sides. Too practical to buy in this gypsy economy, Savage you must have made that yourself?

GolfandWoodNut said:
Dennis, did you make the shed or is that one of those carolina carports? I just leveled a piece of ground and trying to decide if I should build a pole barn or use carolina carports for a mexican built metal one. I just bought a cheap car port from harbor freight metal poles and tarp. I doubt it will hold up but it is impressive how inexpensively you can get one of those things and it is huge and easy to build. As long as it does not fly away, the tarp should be easy to replace if needed. On sale I think I paid $145 for a 20 X 12 shed.

Not sure about carolina carports but it was the Mexican Shuffle putting it up. Yes, we bought it at one of the carport places but went with the A-frame style. My only regret is wishing I'd went with 7' walls rather than 6'. That walk-in door was supposed to go on the side but even though the manufacturer claimed it would fit with 6' sides, it would not, so it is on the end. Also, the overhead doors should have been higher. Overall though, it looks good and strong. We did put mobile home anchors (6) in. They cost $25 each. There is an overhead door on each end.

Wendell, I think you have the correct answer.

Thanks to ecocavalier02, Hiram, and Ratman.

savageactor7, you give me too much credit. No, I bought that trailer and it does look like it is going to work out well. "How do you like them apples?"

Ratman said:
Den you're getting a bit closer to zap but Quad is already working on his 2020 pile.
:)
Ha, no not quite that far ahead! I've been selling right along to keep from getting too far ahead.

And Dennis that shed of yours is nicer than my house!

Well quads, you sound like my wife. She was already asking about it as it was going up! lol

I'm not that far ahead either. Right now about 6 years if some doesn't come up missing.

Backwoods Savage said:
Well quads, you sound like my wife. She was already asking about it as it was going up! lol

I'm not that far ahead either. Right now about 6 years if some doesn't come up missing.

O K Savage ? you been burning with wood over 50yrs were you born noing how to season wood, because I have been burnig 20+ years and I didn't know, would start cutting sometime in spring but mostly early fall like now like everyone else on this mtn. chain saws are a humming up here this time of year.

I recall when the light went on and it was in my youth. We did have a small wood shed and this is where the wood was kept that went into my mother's cooking stove. The heating wood was piled always a long ways from the house. I figured the reason was they piled the wood far away from the house just to make me work harder and the cooking stove wood was kept close to the house in case it was needed quickly. But about the time I turned 10 or so I got to thinking about that wood.

Even though our wood did set in the pile for a year, the wood for the cook stove always lit easier and burned great. Of course it was smaller wood and kept nice and dry. So, was it because the wood was the small stuff or was it because it was dry? So the following spring I took some of the wood for the heating stove and stuck it in with the cook stove wood as I piled that into the shed. I made sure it was out of sight to nobody else would know it. After all, I was the lad who had to bring wood and stack it in the back room (which was at one time just a porch) so I figured I could sneak it in without anyone knowing. The following fall I dug out those bigger chunks of wood when it was time for me to light a fire because it was getting cold. Hot dog! That wood lit right off and burned nicely. That answered the dry question.

Then I went to work for a neighbor milking his cows because there were 3 of us boys and I, being the youngest, was wanting to dig in to work but they always kept putting me off. I think that was somehow also connected to the fact that I had polio and was still pretty weak and they thought I could handle the milkers. I argued that I could handle a bale of hay so why not the milkers. No matter, I lost. So I hiked down to a neighbor and the next thing you know I was milking his cows...alone...while still going to grade school.

I did more than milk cows though. That winter I helped the neighbor put up firewood. He kept his wood in his basement and we just cut the wood and threw it into the basement that same day. Then we went down and stacked it. Needless to say, off and on there was a bit of an insect problem and whenever I stocked up his furnace the danged wood did not burn as well as it did at home. That is when I really learned about letting the wood sit out in the sun and wind to dry, even if for only a year. I could really see a difference between the two homes in how the wood burning went.

One thing I did not learn until much later though was the fact that the wood needed to be split in order to dry good. Thinking back, I now know one of the reasons for the wood being a bit harder to start in our heating stove was that even though we cut the wood a year ahead of time, it never got split until it was time to burn it.

So there you have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.