Sorry if this has been covered before. I live in a small 1960 house that I remodeled. I have a non-EPA wood stove in the below ground uninsulated basement and an unused fireplace directly above it on the main floor. I lined and insulated the flue for the basement stove and capped off the one for the fireplace. I installed large registers in the floor at each end of the house. The basement stove keeps the house nice and warm, but eats a lot of wood, which I fell, buck and split myself. I was about to buy a PE Summit for the basement when it occurred to me that I could get an insert for the fireplace and line the flue for about the same price. My concern is that running both stoves will be too hot and just the top stove will result in a cold basement. I can keep a cord in the basement, but running up and down the stairs to tend to the stove gets old. Options are:
- New stove in basement and faux potted plant in fireplace
- New insert and flue upgrade on main floor
- EPA stove in the basement and gas logs in the fireplace for ambience and a tad more heat when my wife gets a chill.
- Leave everything as is and process more wood