I did it now.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 20, 2011
North east PA
Some of you may recall last winter my thinking on a bigger wood stove or a second pellet stove. As I have a bad creosote problem. The fact is being gone from home 14 hours a day. The stove cools down and putters and creosotes up. The answer to that problem is bigger stove and liner. Or go the pellet root. Well unless some thing falls thru. I will be doing a basement install of A Pellet stove in an unfinished basement. I have looked at stoves new and used for 6 or so months. All of the better name brand ones on C list were snapped up asap when I called on them. So started looking new with dealer support. I almost bought a Harmon P43 but was thinking of jumping to the P 61 for a bigger punch do to it being a basement install getting the heat upstairs in an old farm house. Then I asked the magical question. Do you have any used floor models that you are going to be swapping out? Low and behold unless something changes I will be dragging home the P68 floor model at a price I can live with at $3000 with tax and a 2 year warranty parts and service. I think in this basement in stall BTU are like cubic inches. The old saying is go big or go home and that there is no replacement for displacement.
Now I have already squirreled away 10 tones Lignectics green bags. As I was planning to run 2 stove this year. My truck is a 1999 ford PSD 4x4 F350 single rear wheel and a 36 foot goose neck trailer. So can I apply for pellet pig status right up front?

Unfinished basement install usually struggle getting heat upstairs.

Some work, most don't. Insulating basement will help.

Definately looks good for getting the pig status.

northeast puller said:
Some of you may recall last winter my thinking on a bigger wood stove or a second pellet stove. As I have a bad creosote problem. The fact is being gone from home 14 hours a day. The stove cools down and putters and creosotes up. The answer to that problem is bigger stove and liner. Or go the pellet root. Well unless some thing falls thru. I will be doing a basement install of A Pellet stove in an unfinished basement. I have looked at stoves new and used for 6 or so months. All of the better name brand ones on C list were snapped up asap when I called on them. So started looking new with dealer support. I almost bought a Harmon P43 but was thinking of jumping to the P 61 for a bigger punch do to it being a basement install getting the heat upstairs in an old farm house. Then I asked the magical question. Do you have any used floor models that you are going to be swapping out? Low and behold unless something changes I will be dragging home the P68 floor model at a price I can live with at $3000 with tax and a 2 year warranty parts and service. I think in this basement in stall BTU are like cubic inches. The old saying is go big or go home and that there is no replacement for displacement.
Now I have already squirreled away 10 tones Lignectics green bags. As I was planning to run 2 stove this year. My truck is a 1999 ford PSD 4x4 F350 single rear wheel and a 36 foot goose neck trailer. So can I apply for pellet pig status right up front?

Well I don't know, what are your feelings about being called a pig and tell us a lot more about that basement?

The BTUs are nice but the ability to move the air counts a whole lot in the equation as well.

Ever sit by a camp fire. Your front side is warm and your back side is cold. You throw a blanket on your back, then all of you is warm. Same thing with trying to heat with a pellet stove in an uninsulated basement.
unless you either use a pellet furnace, or insulate the area the stove is in, you stand be in for a very big disappointment. Once you are able to effectively heat the basement with a pellet stove, you might be able to address getting some of that heat upstairs. Remember, stoves heat the space they are in. Any other heating is secondary. Some of us do it effectively, but many others struggle.

Very few times a basement install will heat the whole house. Especially if the basement is not insulated. The basement walls leach most of the heat out the walls. If you insulate the walls the heat will go up and eventually you will have warm floors.
I tried it first with a PC45 which is 45,000 btu , didn't work so went to Quads AE which is 60,000 btu. That didn't work either Finally realized a space heater is a space heater not a furnace and installed a stove up stairs. problem solved.
We have two stairwells into the basement so the heat will go up one stairway and cool air down the other. This worked when I had a wood stove down there but not with the pellet stove.

I understand your basement in stall concerns. It is a lime stone with 1 foot thick walls.3 years ago I put my free to me Classic bay quidra fire down in the basement. I played with some small room transfer fans and the stair well. It did the job just not economically at the time.But now with the oil price a buck or 2 more a gallon and that I own and Operate a True Value store I get dealer pricing on pellets.It pencils out better.I have two 8 inch ducts that are insulated in the basement. My plan is to have a tin Knocker make me a transition hood from the stove directly in to my two 8 inch ducts.I will use the third in floor great and stair well has a cold air return. The out side door has been reframeded and I have made a custom insulated interior door for it. I plan this winter as I have time to spray the Great stuff foam all around where the box frame meets the stone sill on the wall.I know this is not the best place but this house is all so on a crawl space and slab. It is close to 4000 square feet.The quad takes care of the one 1/2 of the house.It was two family at one time.The other side of the house has no place to install a stove with out being in the traffic of the floor plan . If I was planing to live another thirty years here I would add an out cove for a up stairs stove and be dun with it. But I soon hope to down size to a small single story rancher in the next couple of years and take the P68 with me.So if the two stove cut that 1500 gallon oil usage down I will be happy.I will update you as this progresses and am sure I will have some questing for you folks.

After re-reading your first post I see your only question was about the pig status.

Sounds like you have a plan in place, hope it works out for you.

Good luck and we'll need some pics to verifiy accomplishment.

I installed a 25 pdvc in a finished (but uninsulated basement). It was meant to heat just the basement, we were quite suprised to find that our heating bill for the upstairs was cut in half. We keep the door to the downstairs shut at all times so there is no air exchange. At this time it is zero outside and the tempeture upstairs is 72, downstairs its 78. I am constantly trying to slow the stove down. Right now stove is set at 1-2, lower settings are 3-4-1. I am supposing that I could heat upstairs if I wanted to.

smoke show said:
After re-reading your first post I see your only question was about the pig status.

Sounds like you have a plan in place, hope it works out for you.

Good luck and we'll need some pics to verifiy accomplishment.

Yes and the hogs are getting a might bit peeved at not having a completed application, we could have verified his credentials and decided on membership at our beer bash (err I mean membership meeting) last night.

Hurry up as the application fee is set for an increase shortly.

Learn to walk before you run a marathon.

Insulation can be your friend. I would love to tell you that if you burn 8 tons of pellets a year you will have no problem. But I will not. Insulate the walls in the basement and throw up some drywall. It will help you and cut your pellet usage in half.

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.