I Found a Firewood Scrounge Mine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr A

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2011
N. California
I happened upon some utility workers clearing trees. I asked what they did with the wood. They take it to an electric substation, less than a mile from my driveway. There, they dump it off and shred it up into mulch. The guys said I can take all I wanted. It is whatever they had to clear, all types of local trees, mountains of 'em! I got my insert installed first week of March. I have scrounged up about 2 cords of wood since. I'll be busting my central heat on purpose to claim "sole source of heat" burn waiver from the bureaucrats.

Reactions: ScotO
Great score! What kind of wood did you find?

It's all different kinds. Looks like some oak, mulberry, redwood, sycamore, pine, poplar. whatever they are clearing from the utility lines. They are just getting started for the year and there will a lot more coming.

Reactions: ScotO and Realstone
Hmm. Wonder what sources I should be picketing up here. Good lead, thanks.
For another good source of scrounging, look at the earliest available thread in the Wood Shed, entitled "Wood Scrounging Advice"

Reactions: Mr A
Good for you Mr A. If I were doing that, I'd sort the oak so it can dry longer than the rest.

A good opportunity there for sure. All you have to do now is not screw it up! :)
Clean-up after yourself. Don't do anything that'll make more work for these guys. Don't tell your buddies to jump-in unless they want you to. Ask them what to say if someone comes around asking questions like "who gave you permission to take this wood?"
Enjoy!

Reactions: Realstone
Remember us. Take some pics! (or as they say here, "it didn't happen")

Nice hook up. You better take as much as you can fit at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.