I got me a busy week

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wendell

Minister of Fire
Jan 29, 2008
NE Iowa
This summer just got away from me and now trying to catch up. Got the elm that has been sitting on my driveway split this week (I was somewhat waiting for it to dry a bit so it would split easier. You know, the funny thing about elm is when you get that 1 piece out of 20 that actually splits the way you want it, it's kind of fun!). This picture is with 3/4's of a cord already moved and is over 6' tall in the center. Pictures really never do a wood pile justice.

IMG_3545.jpg

IMG_3546.jpg

IMG_3544.jpg

Is it abnormal to have almost 16 cords of wood for a stove that doesn't exist?

But, now it does. Picked it up yesterday!!

IMG_3542.jpg

Now, gotta install the chimney tomorrow and move all the rest of that wood tomorrow and Thursday. Then a Game of Logging class on Friday in central Wisconsin, a GTG in Minnesota on Saturday and finally a charity firewood cut in northwest Wisconsin on Sunday followed by a 5 1/2 hour drive home. Whew!!

Looking good there, Wendell!

Shari

Looks like that elm split pretty good for you Wendell. You also do me proud seeing that you split vertical, the way splitting was meant to be done.

It sure didn't seem like it was splitting good while I was doing it. :cheese: As many times as you have to run the wedge through a hunk of elm, I can't imagine doing it standing!

Your itinary is often what I end up doing in one day... yeah it's to the point where I had a hard time to keep track of the month even.

Oh... after you get done that wood you should seal your driveway!

Yeah, that is still on the list.

wendell said:
It sure didn't seem like it was splitting good while I was doing it.

Thats cuz the wood was standing up. If its laying down, it just falls apart. :coolsmirk:

Wendell, nice wood pile. Is that American or rock elm? All our elm dies real small here because of Dutch Elm.

Nice to see you finally got the stove. You're gonna be warm this winter! ;-)

BTW, how much is the Game of Logging course? They are offering Level 1 within a couple hours drive of me, and I'd like to take it if the price is reasonable. Can't see the cost anywhere.

Mostly red elm with a little American.

I take the GOL courses through The Aldo Leopold Foundation and they charge $80 each for 1 and 2 and $90 each for 3 and 4. I would absolutely take the course. It is excellent.

I jsut split about the same amount of elm...boy, is it a workout ripping it appart! The stirings sure do catch nice when its dry though!

Nice work. I stack while I split. I would be completely overwhelmed by a pile that big!

You're all a bunch of cheaters splitting elm with a splitter, vertical or horizontal.

I've redefined how big a round of elm I will say is too small to hand split. I absolutely hate hand splitting elm. It
will be the one species of wood that drives me to buying a splitter. I recently took down four oak (wilt) trees that are '
an absolute joy to split, compared to elm. Get thee behind me, elm. Thou art Satan. I had a nice flat, thin splitting round
just like the one in Wendell's pic. Lasted two years and cracked in half today while trying to split a smallish round of elm

Sounds like you have a fun week ahead, Wendell.

Busy week for sure.
But paying yourself when the winter heat bill is low :)
Great looking pile of wood.

NATE379 said:
Oh... after you get done that wood you should seal your driveway!

Ha! I was just thinking the same think. Well actually, I first thought about how hard it must have been to fill all those cracks with tar and then I thought maybe he had sealed the whole driveway and it all wore off except for the cracks. Much more likely.

Pictures never do it justice. The pictures do show how tough each split must have been though with the stringiness.

The problem with the driveway is that I had a very successful scrounging year so I have had some wood piled on the driveway all summer so couldn't get it sealed. Might still be warm enough next week but will probably have a dumpster on it next week for my new roof. Oh, well.

BTW, that pile, including the half cord I had already moved ended up being a little under 3 cords.

Status
Not open for further replies.